Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gimpy tranny needs!

i have a 99 sahara edition tj automatic witha 4.0, lifted with 35's. and no gearing this is not my daily driver but i do have to get to where im wheelin
    i bought it for $3500 it only has 57,000 miles so it think i got a good deal.
    but the tranny is really f'ed up. it won't engage to first without a lot of revving of the motor but after 1st it runs fine
    i am planning on putting 33's on it
    should i plan on upgrading the tranny if i want to replace it , if so can i gear for the 33's in the tranny. i need any info or sugestions i can muster
    thanks ahead!

Unless things have changed since I rebuilt my last automatic tranny about 10 years ago, you aren't going to "regear" the transmission. The gears are what they are. I don't believe anyone is offering different ratio's for the trans.....only the differentials.

That said, it sounds like you have either burned up the 1st gear clutch pack, blew out the piston seals for said clutch pack, or have a problem with your valve body. All 3 of these potential issues will be addressed with a tranny overhaul. I don't hear about many auto transmissions failing (in jeeps), so I would simply look into a rebuild, rather than a swap.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
    X