Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 wrangler islander question???????

hi, i got a 92 islander can anybody tell me what my gear ratio would be and what size rear end i have or what size dana's i have if not were would i be able to find this information out on the internet??? thank you

The am pretty sure the islander stuff is simply cosmetic.

Therefore, you have a D30 at the front and a D35C at the rear. Ratios depend on motor and tranny.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

i got the 4.0 motor and a 5 speed manual tranny

Comment

Well in that case

The std was 3.07, 3.55 was an option. You may find a tag covered in kaka. Or, you can take the lid off and count the teeth.

You also have a np-231 transfer case at 2.72

and an AX-15 tranny at 3.93 first cog

Comment

would a rear from a cherokee fit in a wrangler?

Comment

Originally posted by 92islander
            would a rear from a cherokee fit in a wrangler?
            The XJ came with one of three axles D35, D44 and GM 8 1/4.

The track width of a YJ is 58" whereas the XJ was either 57 or 58"

The XJ was SOA whereas the YJ was SUA. So you might need to do a little cutting and grinding :wrench:

Comment

whats the difference between the soa and the sua?

Comment

whats the difference between the soa and the sua?
                SOA-Spring Over Axle
                SUA- Spring Under Axle

It all refers to where the leaf springs are mounted on the axle housing. In a spring under mount you will have less axle wrap. In a spring over mount you gain approx 5-6 inches of lift vs spring under mount.
                :wink:

Comment

what year xj's and what models have the dana 35's in them? do they have the same gears (307)? and how do you tell the difference between the dana 35's from the 44's?

Comment

what year xj's and what models have the dana 35's in them? do they have the same gears (307)? and how do you tell the difference between the dana 35's from the 44's?
                    Originally, the axles had identification tags which should state the gear ratio.

The D35 has a push in fill plug, whereas the D44 has a threaded fill plug.

If you have a pair of calipers you will find that the shaft tubes have different diameters:

35 2.625
                    44 2.750
                    8 1/4 3.0

You can take the cover off and count the teeth eg 39/11 = 3.55

Comment

Rather than answer you question specifically I will just throw out some information on the XJ rear axles.

84-86 all XJs had the D35
                      87-89 most XJs had the D35. Some had a D44 (more on that later)
                      90 all XJs had the D35
                      91-96 could be a D35 or a Chrysler (not GM) 8.25 with 27 spline axles
                      97-01 could be a D35 or a Chrysler 8.25 with 29 slpine axles

The Dana 35 (sometimes refered to as a turdy-five) uses 27 spline axles and is known to sometimes break at the first sight of anything resembling a rock. OK I exaggerated a little there but they are not considered a strong axle by any means. The early 35s had non c-clip axles and used a screw in plug, the later models had a push in plug and used c-clip axles. I believe they switched mid year of the '90 model. Some sites say the switch was 89-90 but my 90 had a non c-clip axle. The covers on these axles is a nearly perfect oval shape. All XJs with ABS had this axle.picture

The Dana 44 was used in some (not all) 87-89 XJs with the tow package. These are much more likely to be found in an 87 than the others. I have seen several 87s with D44s that did not have the tow package. On the other hand I have seen many 88-89s with a tow package that had a D35. The D44 is arguably the strongest factory axle used in the XJs. It used 30 spline axles and an 8.5" ring gear. All had a screw in oil plug. The cover is shaped much like an apple lying in it's side.Picture

The Chrysler 8.25 was used from 91 up on some XJs. I don't know what options determined which axle was used execpt that none of the XJs with ABS ever got this axle. The non ABS XJs could either have this axle or or the D35, in earlier XJs it seems more likely that you would get a D35, later XJs it was more likely that you would get the 8.25. Up to 96 they had 27 spline axles which made them just as week as the D35 (although the 8.25 had stronger tubes). The 97-01s got 29 spline axles which helped the strength issue. These used a push in oil plug. The cover is somewhat oval shaped with a flat top and bottom. The axle housing also has a flat spot cast in on the bottom that sticks down below the cover. Picture

Most common gear ratios used:

3.07 used with 4.0 and manual trans
                      3.55 used with 4.0 and auto trans
                      3.73 used in some early XJs with the GM V6 engine (some also used 3.55)
                      4.10 used with 4 cyl either auto or manual
                      There are also some odd balls out there with 3.31 and 4.56

From what I've read the XJ and YJ have the same axle width. I measured an XJ D44 once. From wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS was 60 3/8"

I don't know what your plans are. Do you have a failed D35 in your Jeep?
                      If so what do you plan do use your Jeep for in the future? If you are going to do any offroading I would suggest not spending any money on a D35 even if you think all you ever want to do is mild offroading believe me the bug will bite you and you will soon want to go to larger tires and put a locker in. D35s don't stand up to this very well.

I think I have typed enough for now. If you are wanting to upgrade to a stronger axle say so and then we can address some of the things involved there.
                      Last edited by desertjeeper; 06-09-06, 05:36 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!! you guys rock.

Comment

A real low tech way of determining if you have 3.07's or 3.55's is to lift your Jeep up on blocks and spin the rear wheel one complete revolution. While doing this count how many times your rear driveshaft turns. If it turns just over three times you got 3.07's. If it spins just over three and a half turns you got 3.55's. It's crude but works!

Comment

Working...
                          X