Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Disks

Has anyone put disks on a Dana 35? Is this worthwhile or should I just swap to an Exploder 8.8?
    F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
    SOA, 33" BFG Mud Terrains
    Custom Rock Sliders
    Warn 8000# Winch

I'd say just swap in a Ford 8.8. Erik (Nailer) has done this in in his YJ, maybe he'll chime in. Doing the swap on a YJ is fairly easy. I think all that needs to be changed is the spring perches, e-brake cables, and maybe the prop valve for the brakes. Good luck
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
      I'd say just swap in a Ford 8.8. Erik (Nailer) has done this in in his YJ, maybe he'll chime in. Doing the swap on a YJ is fairly easy. I think all that needs to be changed is the spring perches, e-brake cables, and maybe the prop valve for the brakes. Good luck
      Just a thought for now! I just did a brake job on my YJ yesterday and was wondering aloud how nice it would be to have disks.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions, Eric?
      F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
      Custom Rock Sliders
      Warn 8000# Winch

Comment

I know how nice it is. I just swaped in a Dana 44 with Discs in my TJ and the difference is amazing!! Stops hard and fast with great pedal feel. I can't even imagine ever using drum brakes again. Not to mention how much of a pain in the ass they are to re-shoe. Let us know.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Here is a link to the disc conversion I did on my D44 axle. I also did the full floater conversion at the same time. I still need to install a power booster. 4 wheel manual disc brakes is not fun on a hill.

Note also that you really need to change the MC to a Disc/Disc unit. Mine is from a 68 Corvette and was a direct bolt up. I had to make the pushrod for it, but you can buy an adjustable one also. This MC will also accept an aftermarket booster.

http://bulldogs-house.com/pics/44%20...oat%20Install/

There is a .doc file that has a listing of what all the pics are (for easier reference)
          Last edited by BullDog; 10-01-03, 09:31 PM.
          BullDog Dave
          Keep the rubber side down (mostly)
          1975 CJ-5 (Partially)

Comment

Originally posted by BullDog
            Here is a link to the disc conversion I did on my D44 axle.
            Thanks, good pics!
            F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
            Custom Rock Sliders
            Warn 8000# Winch

Comment

it is REALLY a bolt-on conversion.. if you have 4" of suspension lift or more, you dont even have to change the perches. if you have the tools it couldnt hurt though.. just move each of them 1/2" outward.
              buy a spicer adapter to adapt to your existing driveshaft.
              buy a pair of shock mounts, or make some to mount your shocks to the axle.
              just make sure the rear end you buy is COMPLETE! you can even utilize the ford e-brake cables. they will attatch to your yj e-brake connection with very little work.
              DO THIS MOD! it is really easy
              for the brakes, just remove a small rubber o ring in the proportioning valve, and you are stopping like crazy
              let me know if you have more questions....
              you can also get these 8.8's with factory 4:10 gears if that is what you have.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks Eric, I was hoping to hear from you on this. Unfortunately, with my X-case problem right now, this mod is going to have to wait.

But believe me, WHEN I do decide to do this mod, I will be contacting you <Eric> to pick your brain!
                F

'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
                Custom Rock Sliders
                Warn 8000# Winch

Comment

Working...
                X