Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Spools

It seems like people advise against mini spools but I wanted to find out facts rather than blindly obey the "conventional wisdom".

Does anybody on this forum run a mini spool? Have you experienced any breakage or other ill effects?

FYI, i'm planning on stuffing one in my ford 8.8 to replace the trak-lok LSD in there. Need more traction.

Steve
    2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
    4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

I'm still learning the correct descriptions of spools, lets see if this is right:

A mini spool only replaces your spider gears. It provides 100% full time locked rear axle. If your stock carrier is considered a weak one the mini spool might be a mistake.

A full spool replaces the entire carrier and also is 100% full time locked.

If I had a trail only rig I wouldnt hesitate to put in a spool. I personally wouldnt want to drive it on the street though.

Mini vs. full spool? Guess it depends on the reputation of the stock carrier.

Comment

Ya matt i was originally going to go with a spool but the 8.8 is a c-clip axle and i'd need to get a c-clip eliminator kit in order to use one. Starts adding up. I don't know about the reputation of the stock 8.8 carrier. Maybe I should be asking who's running a mini spool in an 8.8?......sound of crickets....
      2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
      4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
        Ya matt i was originally going to go with a spool but the 8.8 is a c-clip axle and i'd need to get a c-clip eliminator kit in order to use one. Starts adding up. I don't know about the reputation of the stock 8.8 carrier. Maybe I should be asking who's running a mini spool in an 8.8?......sound of crickets....

If you pay close attention to the very large majority of c-clip eliminators for the 8.8, you will find that they are prone to leakage, will not work with disc brakes, and are not recommended for street driving where you will encounter side loads on the bearings and housing ends and require the use of drum brakes.

Superior will be offering a new better solution around the beginning of July. It's not exactly marketed as a C-Clip eliminator. The intent of the kit is to give those who are in the market for some stronger alloy axles a way to get them and some other benefits as well.

The Super 88 alloy axle kit includes a new c-clip eliminator that will handle all the side loads that the stock 8.8 can, as well as being designed to be leak proof, gives you almost 2" wider track, high strength alloy axles with thicker flanges to resist bending, and works with all the disc brakes that were offered on the 8.8.

Installation requires a minor modification the stock bearing journal in the housing end and a new housing end that bolts on to carry the new tapered roller bearing. The mod can be done with a hacksaw and a file. It's more fun to use a grinder with a cut-off disc and flap wheel though.

Once the housing end is bolted on, all the bearings, bolts, retainers, shaft collars and axle seals are off the shelf items available at most parts stores.
        I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
        X