Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 44 outers

have a dana 44 from a full size cherokee that I cut down for my CJ.
    the cherokee had a bolt on the end of the outer shaft that kept the shaft against the locking hub. the new hubs are different.

How do I hold the outer shaft out against the spindle seal?

The outer shaft has one spot for a snap ring but it is not at the end of the spindle, and it does not stick out pasted the locking hub.

Thanks
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

What are the new hubs you're using? Are you using the CJ outer knuckles, hubs, etc or the cherokee stuff?
    1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Cherokee 44 outershaft & knuckle, small chevy spindle, ford rotor. Warn hub that will fit the cherokee , chevy & ford...

Comment

I have some chevy d44 shafts laying around, the stub shafts are about 10" center of u/j cap to the end. They have 2 sets of snap ring grooves, 1 is out at the end. If i remember right, they're off a small spindle set up. Maybe this info helps?
        1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

the SJ (Cerokee) outer only have the one grove out near the end, but not close enough for the clip to work, at the edge of the spindle there is no snap ring grove.

Comment

Does the stub shaft stick out past the inner part of the locking hub body where if you had a snap ring groove out at the very end you could use it? I'm assuming the locking hubs are internal hubs rather than external? Every hub/shaft assembly, internal or external, that i've worked on uses a snap ring to hold the stub shaft with attached spindle seal to the spindle (CJ d30, scout d44, ford trucks and broncos 44's, 80's chevy d60, 70's chevy 44). But unfortunately never have worked on a cherokee thats what sparks interest though.
            1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Sorry, I did not see your reply...

The Cherokee stub shaft was held out with a bolt and washer. I will probably go this route to fix it. I used small spindles, ford rotors and the cherokee calipers, with this setup I had to space the rotor/hub assembly outward about 1/4 inch to align the brakes. Now the end snapring grove is just inside the locking hub.
              I think I can uses a small diameter washer as a spacer against the end of the stub shaft and then a larger one to grab a bit of the locking hub.

should work. Chevy locking rings at the outer edge of the spindle would have been easier....

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X