Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way too slow

Hey everyone. I see that most of you guys know your gigs. I was wondering: My four banger is a 2.4L 2004 model. It`s a great ride, and I love the beast like a mate, but I`m having trouble. I`ve had this thing for going on three weeks now and I have only one complaint: No power at all. Now I can pull up to 1100 pounds, but pulling into traffic ain`t easy. I have to give myself plenty of room to pull out and into traffic. Once it hits 25 it takes a lot of time to get over 35. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to the Jeep to aid this. So far a Mech. buddy of mine suggested a cold air intake and a flowmaster system. I`ve also heard that I should try a spec. chip for the computer. What do you guys suggest? I figure go to the people who`ve had them a while.

When you say pull up to a 1100 pounds, do you mean your using your Jeep to tow something? If so, that the problem right there.

The chip, cold air intake are all crap. No other way around it.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

What kind of gearing verses tire size do you have.

Are you running a tach? what kind of RPM's are you running?

If your stock tires and gears, It almost sounds like your Cat is starting to plug.
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Okay, that was a lot of stuff I didn`t understand. When I said I had trouble pulling out, I meant with no loads or anything, just regular joy riding. Right now my Wrangler is completely stock. It`s your basic 2.4 liter 4 cylinder 4X4 engine. No add-ons, nothing. As for wheels: I still have the stock 15s on it right now. Nothing has been done to this Jeep. It sounds fine, runs good, just has no get up and go to it. Sound okay?

Comment

High Flow Catalytic Converter and Cat Back wide pipe exhuast should open the flow to make less back pressure and helping to free up some horses. If you jeep is stick then take the gears like 5-10 mph past the shift arrow. If it's auto I'm sorry.
          A7X
          -Kodiak Wintergreen
          -1997 SE Raingler
          -31" BFG AT's
          -2" BB and 1" BL coming soon
          -Custom Exhaust
          -750 watt Sub and Amp

Comment

Has it always been this way or is it getting worse? If it is getting worse, it could be a coupla different things (like a plugged cat.) Further info is required to help in that case.

If it has always been this way, it is a 4 cyl and came that way from the factory. Lower gearing in the axles or trading it in for a Jeep with a 6 cyl is the only cure for that. Sorry!

Comment

I believe your Wrangler uses the Dodge/Chrysler EDZ engine. There are many supercharger and turbocharger applications for this motor as they are popular bolt-on mods for the PT Cruiser which uses the same engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#EDZ
              http://www.ptcruizer.com/superchargers.html

If you want to stick to rockcrawling, consider bigger tires, appropriate gearing, and beefier rear axle. Heavier flywheel may help keep the motor from stalling. Klune underdrive will also allow your 4 banger to comfortably and VERY slowly idle over anything. Tito's 4 banger idled over much of Moab without difficulty but it was definitely a trailer queen and not to be driven much on the highway (he did manage to highway drive it to Big Bear a couple of times though :yawn: )
              Last edited by jmbrowning; 05-11-06, 12:32 AM.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I run a 2.4 and tow a camper with it, Now I wil admit going up the mountains is slow, but I do not find that it is that bad
                I run 31s with 4.56 gearing
                I am about to spit those for 4.88s and 33s
                Oh youc ould do like I just did, getone of these (see pic) to help with tow duties
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                X