Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max overall powertrain swap length?

Does anyone here know what would be the "max" overall engine / tranny / TC length for an engine swap in a yj?
    Last edited by ChucknTammy; 04-12-06, 06:06 AM. Reason: cant spell!

The over all length depends on what you would want to do. How much spring lift, drain train angle you build in. High pinion rear-end or stock rear-end, relocate radiator, or rear-end.
    Drive shaft angle will dictate how far back you can go.

So basically measure from the radiator to the rear pinion total length. Measure rear-end yoke to rear yoke of transfer case. Measure ground to center bolt of your harmonic balancer, ground to center yoke of transfer case. Ground to center yoke of rear-end. Measure your driveline angle,
    Draw a picture put in you measurements

Here is your base line.

If you are going to run a V8 with the radiator in the stock location remember the V8 requires a larger unit for cooling.
    :2:
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

it is already at its max. if you are swapping in things, you want to make them shorter so you can have a longer driveshaft
      there are lots of much stronger than stock parts out there that take up less space
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Considering the only transmission longer than a stock YJ's is on the Nimitz - Erik is right
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Oh sure guys

Make it sound easy

:doh

Reminder to self
          use the "KISS" method
          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            Considering the only transmission longer than a stock YJ's is on the Nimitz - Erik is right
            Almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Why I brought this up, there is a fellow on the FTE forum who wants to swap a 400 / C6 / NP205 into a '91 YJ. I told him that would be WAY overkill, esp. tranny and TC. I don't know the OAL of the YJ powertrain, but I KNOW his combo would be longer.

Comment

Hell, I have 767's here at work that aren't much longer than the AX-15 - and they hold several hundred people

When I started researching my swap (yep - I STILL have a T176/Klune/NP205 on the floor) I realized that the AX15 is about the longest transmission around. I remember one of the folks on a BBS actually asking me to take a digital picture of it with a tape measure next to it.

Longer than the stock YJ driveline is hard - as the original driveshaft length is too short to begin with. Mine with the AX-15, SYE and Dana 60 is about 16" - which is pretty much the short end of my comfort range. If I were to shift the rear axle back (PITA) and pick up a few inches (or do a V8 swap), I could run a NP435/Klune/NP205 - but the amount of work to move the Dana 60 back (or the 4.0 forward) is more than the benefit of the NP435 IMHO.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

I measured from damper to rear output yoke centerline....76"!!! Is this right or am I on crack?

Comment

6 cyl? Unfortunately not. It's long, and heavier than hell.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                  X