Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 question

I have a line on a D44 from an early model Wrangler, and would like to use this for my CJ. I know the Wrangler is wider (2-3 inches?) and that the wheel bolt pattern smaller. I was planning to change out the shafts anyway and would get them 5 on 5.5. What I am not sure of is will the CJ drums work with the Wrangler brakes or do I need to do something different for that?
    :gun: My garage ain't cluttered, it's just cozy with crap.

YJ axles are about 60 inches wide, the CJ you have has a rear axle at 50 and a front of 54.
    The drums will work but may be smaller than what you have.

and you will have to move the spring and shock mounts. Also, I think the brake lines are metric.
    sell it to a YJ or XJ guy.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
      YJ axles are about 60 inches wide, the CJ you have has a rear axle at 50 and a front of 54.
      The drums will work but may be smaller than what you have.

and you will have to move the spring and shock mounts. Also, I think the brake lines are metric.
      sell it to a YJ or XJ guy.
      Yeah, I figured on moving the perches in a bit and would be the time to rotate the diff up toward the t-case. I noticed that the drums and brake shoes are a little wider than the cj, would be kinda cool to have a little extra in that department. If the lines are metric, I suppose I could always cut the end of the line, put the correct fitting on and reflare the line. If all else fails I might be able to swap out the CJ backing plate, shoes etc. Damn I hate those narrow axles, I have a 4.5 RE lift and I feel like I'm riding a bicycle...

Comment

you can get like adapters, weatherhead makes some, but people at napa and Carquest (REAL parts stors) can look them up for you.

What are you doing for the front end? that is 54 inches wide?

Are you sure it is a 44?
        http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
          you can get like adapters, weatherhead makes some, but people at napa and Carquest (REAL parts stors) can look them up for you.

What are you doing for the front end? that is 54 inches wide?

Are you sure it is a 44?
          http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Thanks for the info on the parts stores, there is a NAPA just up the street. Kinda handy. The rear is a D44 out of an '87 and measures 60.5WMS. As for the front, I located a couple of D44s from late 70's J10's. They have a six bolt pattern, and I would look at swapping in the outer assy from a Bronco. Only thing is the spring spacing on the CJ is rather narrow and I suspect that I will have to go with an out-board spring mount like what Bluetourch has. I don't want to stress the tubes by having them mounted too far from the knuckles. Not sure of all that, need to do some more research. Right now I am getting the frame aligned and squared, this thing must have been hit in the right rear at some point, the right frame rail is pushed forward about 1 1/2 inches, really raises hell on the highway. This should be done by Thursday. Again, thanks for the input! The adventure continues...

Comment

The J10 front end should be about 64 inches wide, you could shorten the long side and keep the CJ spring mounts. I cut mine down myself and had currie shorten the inner shaft.

Comment

That sounds like that might be a better plan, thanks for the tip. It may be a while till I can get to this, hopefully this summer. But I hope to at least get the components together in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

mesure that front dana 44 and let me know what the wm to wm is.
                Thanks
                Good luck with the project.

Comment

Dana 44 Open Carrier Needed

Hey guys, I need a open carrier to replace my limited slip type in my 2001 TJ so I can install a locker. Anyone got one they want to get rid of or know where I can get one cheap????
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                  X