Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Unlimiteds need CV driveshaft with 4.5 RE Lift?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Unlimiteds need CV driveshaft with 4.5 RE Lift?

I'm curious if anybody has installed a 4.5 RE lift on their unlimited and gotten away with the rear stock driveshaft.

How long is a standard tj driveshaft by the way? With the extra wheelbase of the unlimited I'm curious if it really needs it.

I'm just finishing up an RE 4.5 lift on my 05 rubicon unlimited, but have yet to run it and see if I can get away with the stock shaft. It'll be a few days before I can try it, but I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and order the cv drive shaft so I have it by the weekend.

I think the big difference with the newers Jeeps (starting 2003) is there's a flange at the transfer case instead of a slip yoke that most of us w/TJ's had to do away with but I would measure yoke to yoke or flange just to see where your at. Call Tom Woods or Rubicon Express and see what they suggest, you may just need to lenghten your stock shaft.

B&T TJ

Comment

I just installed a 4.5" short arm Full Traction kit on an Rubicon Unlimited, The owner has been driving around for 2 months with the stock driveshaft and has had no vibration issues at all on highway or off. That rear shaft is about 12 feet long and the angle hardly changes, the pinion angle changes a little but that is easy to fix.

I would get the new CV rear shaft if you are going to play hard, but other wise no hurry.
      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
        I just installed a 4.5" short arm Full Traction kit on an Rubicon Unlimited, The owner has been driving around for 2 months with the stock driveshaft and has had no vibration issues at all on highway or off. That rear shaft is about 12 feet long and the angle hardly changes, the pinion angle changes a little but that is easy to fix.

I would get the new CV rear shaft if you are going to play hard, but other wise no hurry.

with a drive shaft 12 feet long the angle shouldn't change much....
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Originally posted by Davisrats
          with a drive shaft 12 feet long the angle shouldn't change much....
          you beat me to it

ok, a unlimited has a extra 5 inches of wheel base so it may not have the troubles the shorter brother has, however unless you get a rubicaon, I beleive you still have a slip joint on the end of the TC. If you are going to get rid of that, and length of the shaft is just one reason to get rid of the Slip Joint, you will be getting a new shaft anyway. I think that being able to pull the rear shaft would be the top of the list for a SYE on the unlimited, drivetrain viabration is the top for regular TJs
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

So maybe it's not 12' long, however it is long enough to allow a 4.5 " with minimal or no drive shaft vibration.
            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
            X