Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D35

I know the Dana 35 is the suckiest axle on the planet, but why? What specifically makes it so sucky? What breaks more on this axle? Basically I'm looking for what parts are the most important to have spares of.

Thanks
    I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
    1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

I have seen several axle shafts break. When this happens there is nothing to hold the axle in place and it simply pulls out. I used to carry a couple of cheap ratchet straps and a length of 4x2. This can be used to hold the wheel in place. I have seen this work twice, once with a tree limb!

I upgraded to the Super 35 which beefs up the axle shafts but instead I broke the welds that hold the axle tubes into the housing.

I also broke the bolt/strap arrangement that holds the U/Js in the yoke.

Apart from that it's a winner
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
      I know the Dana 35 is the suckiest axle on the planet, but why? What specifically makes it so sucky? What breaks more on this axle? Basically I'm looking for what parts are the most important to have spares of.

Thanks
      I had broken a stock D35 axle shaft on the trail with no spare. Like aston expressed, I used ratchet straps and the Hi-Lift latter to hold the axle and tire in place with a little gear oil to free spin the tire against the Hi Lift latter. This was a hell of a day trying to get out of the worst part of the trail, but it worked. I upgraded to a Super D35 and welded over the existing welds on the axle tubes for extra durability.

Drew-
      Drew
      95yj Six Pack

Comment

Also, for some strange voodoo reason, if you carry spare equipment it seems that nothing ever happens on the trail. It’s when you don’t, that’s when the unexpected does. Go figure!

Drew-
        Drew
        95yj Six Pack

Comment

I have a super 35 in mine and I have had a bent axel flange and my ring and pinion broke a tooth...not sure if its the 35's fault but I am jumping up to a 44 for good measure rather than replace the ring and pinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewminator
            Also, for some strange voodoo reason, if you carry spare equipment it seems that nothing ever happens on the trail. It’s when you don’t, that’s when the unexpected does. Go figure!

Drew-
            Seems to be true, I've always carried spare shaft and have done some tricky trails, have'nt busted one yet. Here's something I got CLICK The videos show axles snapping with very little foot on the peddle.
            “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
            -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by aston
              I have seen several axle shafts break. When this happens there is nothing to hold the axle in place and it simply pulls out. I used to carry a couple of cheap ratchet straps and a length of 4x2. This can be used to hold the wheel in place. I have seen this work twice, once with a tree limb!

I upgraded to the Super 35 which beefs up the axle shafts but instead I broke the welds that hold the axle tubes into the housing.

I also broke the bolt/strap arrangement that holds the U/Js in the yoke.

Apart from that it's a winner
              Hey Banana Man, was this breakage caused by axle wrap?

Drew-
              Drew
              95yj Six Pack

Comment

Hey Banana Man, was this breakage caused by axle wrap?

Drew-
                The weld break probably not :poop:

The driveshaft U/Js definately :homer:
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Can I get my straps back now ? What made his day worse on that run he also lost a bead on another tire. It was a bad day!
                  [SIZED]http://britain.connectnet.com/Photography/DrewA.jpg[/SIZED]
                  I had broken a stock D35 axle shaft on the trail with no spare. Like aston expressed, I used ratchet straps and the Hi-Lift latter to hold the axle and tire in place with a little gear oil to free spin the tire against the Hi Lift latter. This was a hell of a day trying to get out of the worst part of the trail, but it worked. I upgraded to a Super D35 and welded over the existing welds on the axle tubes for extra durability.

Drew-
                  Last edited by Britain; 04-04-06, 07:48 PM. Reason: added pics
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
                    Can I get my straps back now ? What made his day worse on that run he also lost a bead on another tire. It was a bad day!
                    [SIZED]http://britain.connectnet.com/Photography/DrewA.jpg[/SIZED]
                    Hey there Britian,
                    I thought those pics were supposed to be locked up in the vault? LOL! We don’t want to scare other fellow jeepers that have stock D35’s, LOL! Hey thanks for reminding me about the straps. If it wasn’t for Britain - Stormtrooper and Skates69, I would have never had gotten out of there. Next time I see you Britian, I have some new replacement straps for you and Stormtrooper. You guys were awesome!

Drew-
                    Drew
                    95yj Six Pack

Comment

I was looking at a copy of this months JP mag and they say that they have upgraded the tube size for the 35 for the new wrangler, this may be a bonus as shaft size may be upgraded also, now to get rid of that c-clip
                      the reason they use that axle is it is cost effective for them, most jeeps will never outwheel it, and the ones that do generally upgrade anyway.
                      I have wheeled with a lot of guys running super 35 kits and swear by them, personally I swapped for a d44
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Hey there Britian,
                        I thought those pics were supposed to be locked up in the vault? LOL! We don’t want to scare other fellow jeepers that have stock D35’s, LOL! Hey thanks for reminding me about the straps. If it wasn’t for Britain - Stormtrooper and Skates69, I would have never had gotten out of there. Next time I see you Britian, I have some new replacement straps for you and Stormtrooper. You guys were awesome!

Drew-
                        \

I think it was Lucas's idea at the time, it worked. I busted off the bottom section of my tire carrier on my last run I always keep those straps handy!
                        perhaps we do another run at bronco soon, Lucas sorta mentioned it a while ago.

I got a place to test your new axels but if you break down in that place it will take much more then the recovery we did at corral.....
                        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                        WEB site

Comment

Working...
                        X