Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit (EZ) Locker FAQ List (In Progress)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit (EZ) Locker FAQ List (In Progress)

We've been getting alot of questions lately re: issues with these lockers. I know there are a few threads around here related to this, but I'm not sure any are all-inclusive of troubleshooting and solutions. We also have an installation article which includes issues we personally had with them.

So here's the question to those of you with experience:
    How much noise is too much noise? What can people who install these expect? What solutions have worked for getting them to behave properly (i.e. check tire pressure)?

Thanks in advance.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

I got ahold of two guys at detroit barney 248-226-6234 and Brent 248-226-6762 one of my pins was a differant length the the other 3 they are sending me a new pin set ( hopefully this will help I have my fingers crossed) I am forced to drive my 91 yj which is a great machine in its own right but I wanted my xj to be ready for moab this year.

Comment

detroit ez locker problems fix lock right

Well, I got the pins but just a little to late the damage to the locker was too severe. I am not sure if the pins where the whole problem. Fortunately My local Jeep Aftermarket guys " midstate Jeep parts " 893-8811 warrentied out the locker. I had them get me a lock right, and 20 minutes later. I had it in and was out test driving it. It works great no problems so far and I have gone 200 miles but have not had any of the problems of the other locker no poping, grinding huge bangs and the sudden shooting into oncoming traffic. hope this helps the next guy with this problem

Comment

Sarah depending on the modle of the locker, such as soft locker or auto locker
        clicking in curves, normal
        chirping in tight turns or while backing up, normal
        bangs, normal (seems sometimes the dogs do not line up and reset while you are applying torque
        and the occasional bang while coming off a curve, normal
        you have to learn to drive a bit different when owning a detriot
        other things they do
        torque steer, thats when you first apply power the back end hooks up and you do not go the way of the turn for about 1/2 a second
        they also have that hook up feel when you start off from a dead stop that some guys are not used to
        the benefit for putting up with the idiosyncracies is nothought idiot proof traction
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Detroit Locker

Tire diameter and air pressure are critical. If you have a worn tire put it on the front. I find air pressure should be within one pound of each other on tires on the same axel if not all four. Noise and banging is something one has to get use to. When shifting with a manual transmission especially over 50 MPH a slight shift (to the left on my rig) can be expected. I have a Lock Rite in my front axel and when the hubs are locked (off road) the vehicle tends to plow when in tight turns. I let those behind me know my vehicle doesn't turn too well. I had a CJ5 before my current rig that was set up the same as my YJ and it had the same characteristic.

Comment

Tire preasure is important, as is running the same diameter tires
            do not match a worn tire to a new tire
            beisdes that
            you should learn how to evently apply torque
            do not shift gears in turns
            apply even gas all thru turns
            try not to turn sharply in reverse
            expect noise if gassing from a dead stop, especially if turning
            learn to laugh when it bangs and pedestrians jump
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

also you need the right case for the locker say a detroit ez locker to go in i found that out after the locker tore up and also tore up my case causing me to just go back with stock spider gears... after all the problems i had wit my detroit locker the detroit techs couldnt tell me why it was doing it also the place i ordered it from couldnt tell me y it was doing it .... but for now ima run stock gears.... thinking of going with trac lock lockers in the future but that is the same is about 100 dollars cheaper then the detroit... just my input
              [COLOR="DarkOrange"][LEFT]2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0
              2 Inch Suspension, 3 Inch Body
              33 Inch Buckshot Maxxis Mudders
              on 15 Inch Pacer Sawblades 3 3/4" backspacing[/LEFT][/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not necessarily sure these types of problems are associated with just the Detroit Ezlockers. Anybody had any experience with Lockright or others where the stock carrier is kept in place and the spider gears are replaced?
                1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

lunch box style lockers

Originally posted by GoinCommando
                  I'm not necessarily sure these types of problems are associated with just the Detroit Ezlockers. Anybody had any experience with Lockright or others where the stock carrier is kept in place and the spider gears are replaced?
                  Well guys, I have been running a detroit EZ-Locker for over two years now and its been great and completly hassle free. Unlike the lockrite & aussie locker the EZ does not ratchet around corners. I have had my TJ on 5+ trails and on the freeway going 70 to 90 mph for long stretches and no problems. I also know guys in Vegas Valley Four Wheelers running them as well without and major issues. Mine is in the front same as the others i know....????
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

ly lock right passed moab rim with flying colors

Well, I originally had the problems with the ez-locker 3 months ago, i was the guy with the pins of differnt lenghts, I have to assume that was the whole probelm. I don't nessaraly think the lock rite is any better although I did like the new cross shaft I did fins and things, poison spider mesa, lions back, dump bump and moab rim with out one problem. Now I am wondering how having the front locker...would work I do have a full time front axle aany suggestions

Comment

I have the EZ locker in the front D30. I can't tell it's there. It doesn't ratchet, pop, bang, or chirp the tires. The rear locker (full Detroit).....now that's a different story. All of the above and I have learned to laugh when it bangs and pedestrians jump as BlackZZR suggests. I also tend to plow in tight turns (off road) like TDS SD. It's been trouble free, so I have no complaints. I had the shop install it when I did the gear change
                      (4.56) but people I've talked with said it was a very easy install. My original gears were 3.07's. Once you re-gear beyond a certain ratio, which I think is 3.73's, you must also replace the carrier.
                      1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Is your front end a full time like on the limited or is it a part time vac lock like on the sports, and wranglers?

Comment

My 01 is a part time 4wd which means that everything up front turns but 4wd doesn't engage until the TC lever is put in 4hi or 4lo
                          1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

I had a Detroit EZ in my AMC20 for over 6 years. Some DD, but mostly trails around JV, LCIR, Truckhaven, etc. It finally wore the ramps down and would slip.... alot. I replaced it with a Quik-lock and I'm happy with it so far.

The EZ in the Front 30 is STILL hanging tough after many years of abuse.

Comment

Working...
                            X