Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Leak

While doing a test ride in my Jeep this weekend Dukes69 commented that I had an exhaust leak by the pinging noise coming from the engine. Well, we got so busy with other stuff I forget to ask him, so I am asking you all

How do you track down an exhaust leak? More than likely its a cracked header which hopefully I will be able to spot myself but what other things should I check for?

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

The manifold is most likely the cause. Get over, under and around and listen.

Use a piece of fuel line held up to your ear and poke around the manifold
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

How do you track down an exhaust leak?
      I actually made an adaptor to air up my exhaust system to find a pesky leak. I got a rubber sleeve and an end cap from the plumbing store and rigged an air fitting. I then installed the sleeve over the tail pipe and aired up :yay: Now I could look for leaks w/o burning my extremities - it worked :gun:
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
        I actually made an adaptor to air up my exhaust system to find a pesky leak. I got a rubber sleeve and an end cap from the plumbing store and rigged an air fitting. I then installed the sleeve over the tail pipe and aired up :yay: Now I could look for leaks w/o burning my extremities - it worked :gun:
        Very good idea! I might try that.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
          Very good idea! I might try that.
          2 ways......Use a 3 foot piece of heater hose to the ear and listen close to suspect areas with the vehicle running (YOU WILL HEAR IT) or hook up a smoke injection machine to pinpoint the area leaking (IF YOU HAVE THE $1500.00 PIECE OF EQUIPMENT).......Good Luck.....B.J.

Comment

Working...
          X