Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive train noises

I am starting to get some wierd noises going on under my jeep lately. It is mostly a clank that happens when I push the clutch in. It is not very loud, but its there. I am also hearing a repititious clank when I keep the clutch in in 3rd gear. Again, not very noticable. I noticed that earlier today. It may happen on other gears though I just noticed it on 3rd.

I have not torn anything apart yet to look. I really dont know where to start or what to look for. I have noticed this since I put my Belly up on. Though it may be just coincidental. I am still getting some vibes so I have to re-adjust my rear pinion angle. Not if that info is critical or not. FYI. I installed the BL and MML with the Belly up.

Any ideas?? Thank..
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Hmmm.... check to see if there are any wear marks on your drive shafts.

See if it happens in other gears or maybe specific RPM range.

Have you been able to tell where the clank comes from? That would help narrow the area to look in.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I was really noticing it tonight driving home with now music on at all and the clanking is consistant with the rpm meaning as the rpm's decrease the the number of 'clanks'decrease. I am starting to wonder if its the chain in the trx case or something?????. I may have to tear it apart this weekend to see if I can see an visible damage.

We will see.......
      Last edited by TJSUPE; 02-09-06, 11:38 AM.
      Supe
      97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

Are you noticing any change in how the clutch feels? Looser, tighter? Have you checked the driveshaft itself? Push up and pull down on it; there should be no movement. Can you tell if it's coming from the tranny area or farther back?
        Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

I now there is play in the DS but only in the rotation. I can turn it about a quarter of a turn before it stops. I was thinking that maybe when I engage push the clutch in it allows the front DS to slap around a bit since I am not on the pedal.

Ahwat about the Chain in the Trx case. Could that have gone bad or something. Maybe its slapping around when I am not gassing it. I only notice it with the clutch in and not when I am coasting with the clutch out.

OH and no difference in the clutch feeling.
          Supe

Comment

I dont think you should have that much play in your drive shaft. I cant even turn my driveshaft by hand if all the tires are on the ground.

Is this the front or rear ds? To narrow the problem down, you can remove the offending ds go for a drive and see what happens.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

It is the front DS with the play. I have fondled some other peoples shafts when they werent looking and some were loose like mine. Doh!

I will take of my front shaft tomorrow and see if I can here it still. Good Idea.
              Supe

Comment

If I remember, I will fondle my shaft also and see how much play is there. I know for sure I can't turn the rear at all.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

If it's definitely a clank and not a clunk (in all seriousness) and it's coming from the front, I'm thinking somthing with your clutch plate. But you say you're not noticing any difference in pedal feel. hmmmm.

When you're under the jeep fondling your driveshaft, push straight up then pull down. There should be no play. I was bent driveshaft or u-joints; don't know how many degrees you should be able to turn it with the wheels on the ground and in gear. Let me think about it
                  Last edited by Jeri Lyn; 02-10-06, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Too Much Info

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                    It is the front DS with the play. I have fondled some other peoples shafts when they werent looking and some were loose like mine. Doh!

I will take of my front shaft tomorrow and see if I can here it still. Good Idea.

Whoa Son ... too much information here...

Comment

Okay I had some play in my front DS but no where near 1/4 turn, maybe 1/32. Just enough play to wiggle if back and forth a little.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                        If I remember, I will fondle my shaft also and see how much play is there. I know for sure I can't turn the rear at all.
                        Hay!
                        Lets keep it clean:censor:
                        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

i have a squealing noise goin on mith my jeep....im not to sure on wat it is it sounds like its comin from the tranny or transfer case(np231) its made this noise for almost a year and i cant figure it out...i think its the trx chain or a bearing in the tranny....ive replaced the u joints driveshafts replaced 2 broken axle shafts 1 limted slip unit all the brakes front bearings rear bearings rebuilt the front axle and i still havent figured it out..............it blows!

Comment

Originally posted by sikjeep99
                            i have a squealing noise goin on mith my jeep....im not to sure on wat it is it sounds like its comin from the tranny or transfer case(np231) its made this noise for almost a year and i cant figure it out...i think its the trx chain or a bearing in the tranny....ive replaced the u joints driveshafts replaced 2 broken axle shafts 1 limted slip unit all the brakes front bearings rear bearings rebuilt the front axle and i still havent figured it out..............it blows!
                            more info, please. Manual or auto, when does the noise occur, is your tranny shifting hard and late, soft and early, etc? When you check your tranny fluid, what does it look like on the stick?

Comment

its a 5-speed and it shifts just fine. the noise is louder when i let off the gas...it is still there when im xcelerating but not as loud...when i check the tranny fluid and the trans case fluid they are both perfect in level and show no signs of abnormality

Comment

Working...
                              X