Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tranny is a 5-speed..it feels normal when i shift...the noise is there constantly it gets louder when i let off of the gas and quiter when i get on the gas...the tranny fluid is perfect it shows no signs of water being in there or metal shavings or anything its perfect along with the trans case fluid.....i think it might be the fan clutch but im not sure

Comment

hey sikjeep99, i'm willing to bet it's the xfer chain, mine does the same thing. get it replaced or rebuilt.

Comment

does it seem to be worse or louder when you first start it, if you don't let the jeep idle a bit before you take off is it worse, does it seem worse when it's cold? mine does. if you think it might be the fan clutch just prop the hood and pull on the accelerator cable, you should be close enought to figure if it is that. can you imagine how a bike chain loose sounds, does it sound simular?

Comment

tjsupe

it's been my experience that some play in the driveshaft is fine. turning it that is. not pushing on it. it's highly normal in the front. i worked on hmmwv's for a few years and it was common, and though they aren't jeeps, driveshafts are driveshafts and diffs and xfers too. 1/4 of a turn doesn't sound too bad, but that might be whats slaping. though it's really hard to tell if i can't get my hands on it and hear it myself, ya know! hehe

Comment

its a little bit louder when its cold or its cold outside....after i drive on the freeway its not that loud....how do i check for the fan clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by LiftedPleasure
              tjsupe

it's been my experience that some play in the driveshaft is fine. turning it that is. not pushing on it. it's highly normal in the front. i worked on hmmwv's for a few years and it was common, and though they aren't jeeps, driveshafts are driveshafts and diffs and xfers too. 1/4 of a turn doesn't sound too bad, but that might be whats slaping. though it's really hard to tell if i can't get my hands on it and hear it myself, ya know! hehe
              I havent had a chance to tear anything down yet, but I have islolated the noise to happen only the clutch is in, or if I barely push the clutch in at all, which makes me concerned that it is something in my transmission..?? I hope to have some time this weekend to remove my shafts to see if the noise is still there. It went away for a bit and now its coming back.
              Supe
              97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
              Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Working...
              X