Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90s 4.0 Fuel Injection on a 258

Anyone know of any links that might deal with what parts and computer and wiring that are needed to pull this off?A friend of mine has offered up these parts from a Cherokee('93 I think) before it goes to the junkyard.I have a 4.0 head that I am also planning to install on my '83 258.:confused: [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Whoa...after all this time posting on MJR I just dicovered al this stuff for colors and stuff...
    "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Swapping a 4.0 into a cjHere is a write up on switching in a 4.0 into a cj.

As far as the 4.0 head onto a 4.2 you have some water jackets that need to be plugged. Heres a good write up on the head swap
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I have the later raised port 4.0 head ,header and valve cover.I went over today and it is actually a 1988 Cherokee.Looks like I will need to pull the entire harness so I can sort through it.Looks like I may need a4.0 flywheel??Seems like I read somewhere that I will need the front 4.0 balancer also.Thanks for the links,I hadn't thought to search for 4.0 swap info.I'm going to try the epoxy route on the water passages.
      "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

The 1987-90 are RENIX injection. The computer is not water proof and is above the gas peddle inside the cab. If it is an automatic, the auto has a computer above the passengers feet inside the cab. RENIX has an EGR solenoid and a ballast resistor on the drivers fender, a stack of relays and ignition module & coil on the passengers fender.

On the engine, manifolds, knock sensor and temp sensor from the left side. Distributor, from the right side. and ALL the wiring.
        HESCO makes a crank position sensor relocation kit (300$), or use the 4.0 flywheel, bellhousing and sensor.
        I recently put a 1990 renix 4.0 and trans in my CJ

Keep the donor car as long as possible, keep the engine if possible,
        Last edited by Davisrats; 02-04-06, 08:20 PM.
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

If you want to keep your trans, you can get a vibration damper for multi port injection systems and the crankshaft positioning sensor, 4WD.com or quadratec.com sells them $220 for the damper and $27 for the sensor.
          These are just a few.
          Advance adtaper sells a bellhouse to match your trans. either way
          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
            If you want to keep your trans, you can get a vibration damper for multi port injection systems and the crankshaft positioning sensor, 4WD.com or quadratec.com sells them $220 for the damper and $27 for the sensor.
            These are just a few.
            Advance adtaper sells a bellhouse to match your trans. either way
            RENIX relocation kit is not the same as a Mopar injection (91+) relocation. Be carfull what you have and buy the right one.
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

It's looking like I have some really good options here.I just checked out Hescos offerings and they have stuff all over the $$$ spectrum.Some of isn't bad considering the time savings.That MPI balancer must be what I read about.I had forgot about needing to use the distributor!I'll have to do some research on the Renix set-up.Down the road I want to swap in a NP 435 out of one of our old F700 bucket trucks so I will need to stick with a compatable bellhousing as I have with my T176.I think I'm going to grab the Renix set-up from the '88 and continue to watch for a '91 and up set-up also.

Comment

Working...
              X