Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 30 "Thick" gears

Has anyone ever seen these alledged "thick" gears,3.73 and up that are thick to go on 3.54 and down carriers?If so who sells them?I've read about them in Jeep web pages but never seen them listed in a catalog.
    "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Never heard of thick gears for a D30 but if anyone has them it would be Randy's Ring and Pinion. Give them a call.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

A new carrier is like $65 so there's not much point.

Plus, if you're changing your gears anyway you must be thinking of putting a locker in at the same time - and there's your new carrier!
      Only makes sense while you're paying for a R&P setup anyway.

You might also find a TJ take out for cheap. I got a '30 out of a 4-banger for $200. That's how I ended up with 4.10's instead of 4.56 or 4.88. Not ideal but has worked out okay for me. I was lucky, my AT works good with the bigger tires and the taller gears.

Instead of building my D30 though, I will find a HP30 out of a Cherokee and build that. Then I can just swap axles when it's time.

Michael's right though, call Randy's if you have your heart set on a thick gear set. They'll tell you if they're made or not. (I doubt it.) I'll see if I can find who might make them.

Comment

Reason I ask is because I have a "spare" ARB Dana 30 air locker that is for 3.54 gears and down.I'd much rather have it in my Jeep than on the shelf downstairs.I'll check with Randy's.
        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

I've never heard of thick d30 gear sets. I know they make thick d44 gearsets that were originally intended for the rubicon carriers...but they will work with any of the small d44 carriers.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
          X