Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken detroit locker

Some of you remmeber my post about my broken ring and pinion. Well it turns out why it broke was because of a broken detroit locker. I went to pull everything apart last night and replace the gears, and in doing so I was goign to replace the bearings and everything eles in the diff. When I went to take one of the carrier bearings off i noticed that the bearing was cracked. Pulled it off and tried to replace it but the new bearing wasn't going on. I looked at the locker and realized that the locker was cracked and oblonged where the bearing sits. I guess that caused the bearing to crack cuasing the locker to shift and broke my gears.

It is a good thing i kept my old carrier so i could use that but the down side is i no longer have a locker in the rear.

I wish i had a money tree because i would just get a 9" but i don't so i am thinking of going with a aussie locker till i can get enogh money togther for an axle upgrade.

Does anyone know if Detroit will replace the locker under warranty?

The only way to know for sure is to call them and ask. Worst case is they tell you no, which leaves you right where you are now. Best case is they tell you yes...and you get a new locker.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I called this moring and it seems every one there is at convention. I am going to have to wait till monday to talk to someone.

Comment

they sure should replace it. when they do... sell that pile and get yourself an arb.
        there has been a lot of detroits cracking.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I a d-30 detroit here that has all of its teeth stripped off.. if nothing else, we can make a good one between us.
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            they sure should replace it. when they do... sell that pile and get yourself an arb.
            there has been a lot of detroits cracking.
            This sounds way too familar, still have that cracked pic from Rubicon?

B&T TJ

Comment

Like yourself and many others none of us have a money tree in our back yard. Just a money pit in our garage. Jeep stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket" for those that can afford an ARB and are willing to take the risk of an O ring or air related part failure then I guess an ARB is the way to go.
              Besides, most of us know that guys that like ARB dont like detroit and and guys that run detroit dont care for ARB. Me myself I have been using a detroit locker for a few years and have never had any problems.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj
                Besides, most of us know that guys that like ARB dont like detroit and and guys that run detroit dont care for ARB. Me myself I have been using a detroit locker for a few years and have never had any problems.
                I must be confused as hell then. I like the rear Detroit and front ARB combo, been running it for years, and I'm setting up my new rear axle that way too.
                I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj
                  Like yourself and many others none of us have a money tree in our back yard. Just a money pit in our garage. Jeep stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket" for those that can afford an ARB and are willing to take the risk of an O ring or air related part failure then I guess an ARB is the way to go.
                  Thats funny, Just ask Black and Tan TJ about going from a detroit to an ARB. Noone has a money tree, thats why some of us prefer to do it right the first time. I can fix an air leak on the trail, I cant fix an exploded detroit. You can "JEEP" once or "JEEP" untill you get it right.

I dont have a problem with detroits. I have one in my 69 Charger. I personally have wheeled my ARB's for 1-1/2 year with no problems. I know people that are in the same boat as me, or have been there for longer. I have personally seen a detroit explode which ended a long awaited Rubicon trip.

Might as well spend the money once, right Tom?
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Just talked to detriot and since the locker is more than a year old they won't warranty it.

How much work is it to convert to an 8.8 rear? What all is needed?

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj
                      Just talked to detriot and since the locker is more than a year old they won't warranty it.

How much work is it to convert to an 8.8 rear? What all is needed?
                      For you very easy, just need to relocate the spring perchs and get an adpater for the driveshaft.
                      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Who makes the adapter?

Comment

Who makes the adapter?
                          PM Nailer341
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Who makes the adapter?
                            Like Dukes69 said, PM Nailer341. I am sure High Angle Driveline or Tom Woods could get you one too.

If you plan on doing this swap, let me know Id love to help out so I can see it done first hand.
                            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

the adapter is a spicer part.
                              it comes in 2 varieties. there is the 13-10 and the 13-30 u joint adapters. you would need ythe 13-10 type. they vary in price from like 25-45 bucks depending where you can find it.
                              i believe m.o.r.e. has them.
                              P/N 2-2-1379 and, You also need the flange bolts for the 8.8” which are 12mm x 1.75 thread 12 point, Ford P/N N800594-S100.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X