Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken ring and pinion

I broke the dana 35 ring and pinion this week. Granted I am running 4.56 gears detriot locker, but I still don't think this would cause three teeth to get chiped off the pinion gear. I thought for sure the first thing to go would be an axle shaft. Any body have any ideas what would cause this. I was on the pavement doing a slow u-turn when it happened. There was no loud noise or pop, when I came out of the turn I had a bad noise and vibration. When I got it home and took the cover of the diff the teeth feel out. I am going to replace all the bearings in the rearend but other than a bad bearing I don't understand why this would happen.

I had a Detriot TrueTrac break on me in a similar way, just a gentle turn then snap bang it was over. Turns out the locker broke in half, now I'm running an ARB like most of the people I run with, no problems. What I've been told about the Detroit locker is that it can build up a good amount of force, then if/when something goes the backlash of force usually takes out other componets, plus your running a D35 which most fail at some point. I saw a Currie 9" rear diff. w/Detriot full locker and 4.56's that snaped an axle (hugh axles too) and took out the locker as well. All the internal parts shattered like glass, granted he was in a very tough position when the axle broke and thought it was only an axle. The installer that did the work for both of us had never seen this in the 35 years of installing Detriots and he had two busted lockers on hand at the same time, mine ended up being covered under warranty.

Food for thought, B&T TJ

Comment

I hate to say but it is a Dana 35 and they are not the strongest ring/pinion out there and you are running 35s. Stress can fatigue any metal over time so that even a slight amount of stress causes something to break.

Now, if this was a brand new gear set I would be concerned other than that it happens.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when your 35 will let go. now it has, so it is the eprfect time to upgrade to the 8.8.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I ran a D35 for a while with a Detroit, 4.56 and 35s. Never had any probs with the internals but I did pull the axle tubes out of the diff housing.

I dumped it and went with a 9" :yay: never looked back
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when your 35 will let go. now it has, so it is the eprfect time to upgrade to the 8.8.
            Q What's the diff between an 8.8 and a 9

A 0.2 and no C clips
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
              I ran a D35 for a while with a Detroit, 4.56 and 35s. Never had any probs with the internals but I did pull the axle tubes out of the diff housing.

I dumped it and went with a 9" :yay: never looked back
              I agree, nows the time to go 9 and don't look back...

Comment

I wish I could go with an 9" but money is kinda of tight right now. I was able to find a set of dana spicer gears for 110 dollars. I hope these will last a bit longer. I always carry spare axles with me because of the locker and how weak the 35 is. I was able to get ahold of a 44 that came out of cheroke a while ago but didn't use it because it was aluminum housing with steel axle tubes. I am going to look into building that up but I am nervous with the aluminum housing. I just don't think it can take getting beatin on the rocks.

Comment

Do not waste time on the aluminum D44.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                    Do not waste time on the aluminum D44.
                    Thats what I have been hearing from everyone. It seems a shame to waste a 44 but it is aluminum. I wish I could find someone to come and get it out of my yard.

Comment

Originally posted by locked94yj
                      I wish I could go with an 9" but money is kinda of tight right now. I was able to find a set of dana spicer gears for 110 dollars. I hope these will last a bit longer. I always carry spare axles with me because of the locker and how weak the 35 is. I was able to get ahold of a 44 that came out of cheroke a while ago but didn't use it because it was aluminum housing with steel axle tubes. I am going to look into building that up but I am nervous with the aluminum housing. I just don't think it can take getting beatin on the rocks.
                      Are you sure it is aluminum? I don't think the Cherokee is an aluminum housing. See if a magnet sticks to the housing. If it does, I will take it off your hands this weekend. And I'm srious.
                      92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

did the magnet test and it is aluminum.

Comment

If it is aluminum the axle must be from a ZJ. I have read that the ZJ did have an aluminum housing.
                          92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

1. There a LOT More differences between an 8.8 and a 9" than the ring gear size. They are totally differnet designs.
                            2. The aluminum d-44's came in Grand Chreokees and are terrible axles.
                            You have a YJ. get an 8.8 out of an explorer or a d-44 from an XJ.
                            It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Working...
                            X