Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help I am headed there now. I just want as much info as possible before I start. I have done this kind of stuff with a ton of chevy stuff but never a jeep and it's always the one little thing at midnight on saturday that is keeping you from drving off on Sunday morning. Nothing is worse than all your buds in your drive way saying I told you not tu try and put that in there.
    THank Jeff

Comment

4.0's are VERY interchangable. if it doesnt mate up to your cj's mounts, theres an adaptor for anything from AA. do a stroker and be done!
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by 86camo1ton
        Brokenujoint
        I know this post is a little old but I am trying to get some help/info. I am a chevy guy and just bought my first jeep 86 CJ7 and I am in the process of building a stroker for it. I bought the jeep with 119,000 miles on it and it ran fine other than the carb. So I stripped all the computer out and ignition system and bought a clifford 4 barrell intake, had quickfuel build me a carb and made a HEI dist. All was good until it started using oil and smoking like crazy. So after researching several options 4.3L, 350, 283 etc... I decided to go with the 4.0 stroker. I did alot of reading and bought a 1993 cherokee (running but otherwise junk) jerked the moter out and jerked the motor out of my CJ that is where I stand now. I have read alot of articles about stroking a 4.0 and putting it right back in place of the 4.0 but none on stroking a 4.0 and putting it in place of a 258. I have several questions ie..... Can I use my 258 bellhousing??? Which starter do I use.... I want to use my 258 starteer... what about distributors How can I modify my HEI 258 distributor to work in the 4.0 and or course I will have to install an electric fuel pump because the 4.0 has no place for a mechanical. I have decided on all the parts for my stroker and the machinest is good to go but it's just the details I am worried about. I have alread found a few problems like the serpentine belt system on the cherokee has a off set fan and I dont know about finding a delete pully for no air. So I am going to to just but the belt system off my 258 back on. Any help locating someone who can answer my questions would be greatly appreciated. I just use the jeep for my family to take back and forth to our lake lot and some trail riding but nothing extreme. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
        Jeff Collins
        There are slight differences in the mounting points on the block of the 4.0L versus your 258. There is an additional threaded boss for the alternator bracket on a 258 (and possibly slightly different location), so I don't think you can bolt up the 258 stuff. The offset fan and different water pump are enough of a turn off to me to just go find the pulleys on another engine in the junkyard. That's what I did with mine - I got a cherokee 4.0L that I'm stroking to go in my CJ. The main thing you might want to consider is using ALL of the accessories that belong on the 4.0L. You need to run the electronic distributor since the ECU controls timing via the distributor. You also will need to splice and dice your engine harness to get the appropriate wires where they belong in the cab and to whatever fuel pump you're running. Depending on the condition of your existing engine wiring, you may want to consider the Hesco conversion wiring harness to make things simple. It's expensive, but is basically a factory harness as it was built on a 1994 YJ that has the appropriate CJ connector for the firewall going to all the right stuff on the engine. My engine harness is pretty much toast, so it was an easy decision. If you want to keep it old skool with the distributor you have and a carb, then you'll want to pretty much keep all the same ignition and fuel stuff you have except you'll need an aftermarket intake to fit the 4.0L head or you'll have to plug the injector ports and make an adapter from carb to intake. You will probably still have to run the 4.0L accessories. I'm not sure about the starter.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I am in the process of a install of a 4.6 in my yj, it is a 4.0 block and head what do you think about going with a carb. seeing as i cant find a wiring harness and accessories for the life of me!

Comment

Cherokee parts sell for cheap. Most pick a parts have them.

Or buy the hole jeep for parts.
            1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Well, its been awhile since i have tinkered with the build. Today i picked up the block from the machine shop. had it bored 0.020 over, honed, decked, maged and hot tanked, new freeze plugs installed and had the pistons/rods pressed together, also had the cam bearings pressed on. cost= 331.00.
              Last week i sent the crane cam back for a refund and upgraded the melling oil pump to a melling high volume oil pump. As for the cam, a number of guys are having issues with aftermarket comp cams and crane cams alike. the lobes are to thin and are flattenng out. the newest thing is to just run a stock mopar cam. The block is now ready to be put together minus the cam that needs to be ordered. then its on to some yella terra 1.7 roller rockers and a valve job. Getting close![IMG][/IMG]

Comment

just picked up a 4.0 last night, wheeled it into the garage on a new cherry picker

and now I'm scratchin' my head.

what the mud have I gotten myself into?
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

FUN! lots and lots of fun

what yr did you get?

toss the head for a 91-95 yj head.

ditch EVERYTHING ELSE.. you want block,cam, pan.. thats it

stripe it. thats the 1st thing. thats the easy part. i just threw my stuff away. you wont get squat for it.

Then start sourcing your parts. chime in $ 1400.00 later
                  Last edited by brokenujoint; 07-26-07, 12:36 PM.

Comment

OMG! I think I'm gonna be sick...

got it from an 88 89? cherokee. its fuel injected. I want to build it while I wheel the crap outta my 91' YJ and then when I'm ready or it sh!ts the bed I can drop this guy in...

Comment

stroke or stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                        just picked up a 4.0 last night, wheeled it into the garage on a new cherry picker

and now I'm scratchin' my head.

what the mud have I gotten myself into?
                        how much did you pick up that 4.0 for? curious.
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I got it for free! My friend Paul was cleaning out his garage and wanted it gone, but I had to buy a cherry picker to get it to my house so so far the engine build cost $107- now i need to see if the block is the right one to do the stroker, I think its an 88, but I dunno... its been rebuilt before.

Comment

ok, finally compared the block # to the one reccommended, and they don't match. I think I got the wrong block. now I don't know what to do, maybe I should just clean this one up and sell it, and start all over...? I dunno if there is more than one block run that you can use...

Comment

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Stroker/Stroker.htm
                              http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...er40/index.asp
                              http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...kerSummary.htm
                              http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html
                              http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/selection.html
                              The only mention I have found about what block is the reduce noise, vibration, and harshness NVH added after 96?
                              The older blocks work fine you can add the main cap girdle to the older block too.
                              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

thanx! I will resume the teardown...

Comment

Working...
                                X