Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise that wont go away

when im driving there is a very noticible noise that i cant figure out where it is coming from. i thought it had something to do with the rear axle untill it broke. i rebuilt it and the noise is still there i think it might have something to do with my transfercase (np231) but i am not sure. the noise sounds like metal on metal. if anyone has had something like this let me know please.

We have something like that in our 02 TJ. I'm pretty sure its in the tranny, sounds like a bearing going out to me. Change the fluid, see if that helps.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

thanks for the info i will do that. it sounds like its around the tranny or transfercase but im not sure. how long has ur 02 made this noise?

Comment

Pull your drive shafts and look at the U-Joints. A dry cap in the u-joint will drive you nuts. :2:
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by sikjeep99
          thanks for the info i will do that. it sounds like its around the tranny or transfercase but im not sure. how long has ur 02 made this noise?
          Over a year, more like 1-1/2 years. It wasnt the u-joints, but its worth a try. Good Luck!
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Typical question for "noises":

Is it RPM or speed proportional?

Does it change from gear to gear?

What mods do you have?
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I have a noise that won't go away either but she would be very expensive to get rid of

Seriously, Old Fart has it right. Need more info to give any kind of useful resposne.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

You have no idea on the cost....

If you want to know why divorce is so expensive?

Because it's WORTH IT
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

its made the noise for about 10 months. its more related to speed than anything. cause i can rev when in nuetral at a stoplight and its fine but when im coasting on an offramp in nuetral it still makes the noise or if im in gear xcelerating it will make the noise. ive replaced front and rear u joints that wasnt it. took out the front drive shaft and drove around that wasnt it. took out the rear and did the same and it wasnt it. i did the full traction 4 inch performance kit its got a dana 35 rear dana 30 front an NP231 transfercase and im not sure on the tranny but its a 4.0 with a 5 speed

Comment

Since you said it sounds likes its coming from the rear, take a look at the drum brakes. I would also pull your axle shafts and inspect the bearings.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                      Since you said it sounds likes its coming from the rear, take a look at the drum brakes. I would also pull your axle shafts and inspect the bearings.

im pretty sure its not the rear axle i broke the limited slip unit about 5 months ago and i had the whole rear axle redone including bearings seals shafts gears u-joints brakes everything. the noise was there before this happened and it still there

Comment

Sorry, I should not post right before going to bed. I re-read what you said about not know where its coming from so.

I am not being mean but you really need to figure out where the noise is coming from to clearly identify the issue. Get a friend to rid along with you to help identify the location of noise. Or Put the Jeep up on jack stands and "drive" it while someone looks for the noise.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

the noise is coming from the middle of the jeep from wat i can tell. it sounds like transmission or transfercase but im not sure on which it is

Comment

Any small, annoying neighborhood kids you can strap under the rig to listen for where it comes from?

Your timing sucks - I just moved from Corona a few months ago...
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

yeah there are small kids down the steert from me. the only problem is that there dumber than a rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X