Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Carnage/Replacement? *Pics*

I was on my way to Hollister Hills today and was going about 60mph on the freeway and my front driveshaft broke off at the yoke. It flew around so much that it ripped through the floor boards, cracked my transfercase, hit my brake and fuel lines, as well as lots of other carnage. The TC is done for and is puking fluid everywhere.

My question is: I have a 231 transfercase from a 88 XJ in my garage and I was wondering if this would bolt up to my YJ without to much hastle? Any other info or experiances with this kind of carnage would be helpful. Thanks alot

Pics:

Full Size
    http://www.puderproductions.net/Pict...aseCarnage.JPG

Right side

Full Size
    http://www.puderproductions.net/Pict...seCarnage2.JPG
    94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
    D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

Depends. Jeep had different input shafts for different years/applications. Since you have to take the t-case out anyway, measure and count the splines on the input shaft. Compare that with the XJ case. Make sure to measure length and width.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Are you sure that you got a 231 from an XJ? I thought they came with 241's I could be wrong? Just some food for thought.
      75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tonkadave
        Are you sure that you got a 231 from an XJ? I thought they came with 241's I could be wrong? Just some food for thought.
        The 241 is the Rubicon t-case. XJ's either had the 231 (part time) or 242 (full time).
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

OK Chris, trivia time! So the 231 came in the XJ and YJ, yes? and the 242 is what is like what the Grand cherokee use's? Now My 2000 XJ has a part time case it has 2H, 4H, and 4L. I had a 1991 XJ that had 2H, 4H full time, 4H part time, and 4L part. According to the manual it sais that the 4H full time could be used on dry pavment. and the 4H part and 4L part were only for off road Mud/snow. is that the 242? if so thats where i went wrong. thanks Dave

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 231 was the only part time case Jeep used, untill the rubicon came along. Its been in XJ's, YJ's, TJ's, ZJ's (pretty sure), beats me whats in the KJ. The t-case that was in your 91 XJwas a 242. It should have read the other way around. Full time is for dry pavement and part time is for slick, mud or offroad. The Grands cherokees had another t-case, the 249. It was some funky POS.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Your other NP231 will fit, you may need to change the input shaft. It ethier has a 21, or 23 spline shaft and you can change the shaft to fit what you need.
              I have a Jeep

Comment

Thanks chris for the info, like I said I could be wrong and didn't want to give out bad info thanks for setting things strait for me. Jeep just had so many different T-case's.

Comment

Chris AKA: mendoZJ.... Didja get the YJ fixed yet? If not, I got yer' parts here waiting....
                  Rick OllllllO
                  " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                  Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO
                    Chris AKA: mendoZJ.... Didja get the YJ fixed yet? If not, I got yer' parts here waiting....
                    Rick OllllllO
                    Hey, ill have the TC out sometime this week, ill give you a call. Thanks
                    94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
                    D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

Comment

I was going threw some mag's. and found a good article for you it is from the sept. 05 issue of 4wheel drive & sport utility. They have an article about swaping in a 231 into a ZJ. FYI.

Comment

Working...
                      X