Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 304 runners?

How many people have the 304 V-8 Jeep motor in their rig? How has it done for you? And how about some mods??? Anything replied is appreciated.

I think if you're going to swap in something Mopar, you may as well use a 360. No replacement for displacement. Bolt pattern is the same. It's a little tighter in the head area than a 304, but who cares?
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I ran a 304 for a while in my 84 CJ, It sort of self destructed anfter a broken valve spring let the valve drop doen and hit and crack a piston. It was a great engine until that point. I have to agree with Rick, I built a 360 to replace the 304 and it Rocked!!!. There are also a ton of performance parts out for AMC V-8's nowdays...
      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

So the 360 will bolt up in place of the 304?

Comment

The 304, 360, and 401 share the same block. They also share the same bell housing bolt pattern with the 258. So yes a 360 will bolt up to your bell housing. As far as the frame side of the motor mounts goes, one side needs to be replaced with the frame side motor mount from a AMC V-8. It bolts right up to the frame, it's just shaped differently than the 258 mount. If I remember correctly it is the passenger side. You should be able to find info on this from Advanced Adapters, or maybe someone else on the board can confirm.
          That's a BIG rock!

Comment

here is my neighbors 79 CJ5 built 304 with a Paxton
            original engine, very dependable
            this Jeep is a regular at Glamis, all major weekends
            view: Paxton on 304
            http://community.webshots.com/user/jpflat2a

Comment

I am very happy with my 304. 30 over, edelbrock cam and intake, headers etc. It runs great and gets 14mpg. But, I have a 360 on my engine stand for a future swap. As the others have posted the 360 is worth a serious consideration. 401's are nice but getting rare. Good luck on your quest ! John

Comment

Working...
              X