Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Starting Problem On My YJ's 4.2

I have a 1988 4.2 liter, 5 speed YJ. I went to pismo this weekend and when I got back the jeep now has a weird starting problem. When I turn the key the engine cranks over and over but does not start until I release the key. Now it seems like everyday it takes more and more try's with giving it just the right amount of gas and releasing the key at the right time to get it started. Any idea's on what is causing this? Thanks alot

-Chris
    94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
    D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

I'm no help, but the 88 Cherokee I had in college did that too. I swear, it knew when I was in a hurry and it would refuse to start because it knew I was going to drive it hard. Every fricken' time...

Comment

look at the ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column. mine was coming apart were it was clamped together from the factory. new switch took care of it.
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

This may or may not be related.1988 Jeeps were,as we know, built by Chrysler.I had a 1988 Dodge W350 that I bought brand new.The Dodge had a "dual pick-up" distributor.Basically there were two little coil like things in it,one was for starting and one was for running.When the one for starting went bad it would turn over but not start until you let go of the key.I don't know if Chrysler ever used these on Jeeps or not.The dealer told me this was used on vehicles with the "heavy duty" ignition.
        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Originally posted by MendoZJ
          I have a 1988 4.2 liter, 5 speed YJ. I went to pismo this weekend and when I got back the jeep now has a weird starting problem. When I turn the key the engine cranks over and over but does not start until I release the key. Now it seems like everyday it takes more and more try's with giving it just the right amount of gas and releasing the key at the right time to get it started. Any idea's on what is causing this? Thanks alot

-Chris
          i am having the same exact problem with mine. i replaced the ignition switch last night and that didnt do it for me. i am not saying that it wont work for you, but it didnt for me. if you get it figured out, drop me a line. i will do the same.

Comment

^^^^ I will let you know if I figure it out

Thanks for the replies everyone, I still havent found the problem but it actually seems to be getting a little better so it hasent stopped me from wheelin yet

Comment

problem solved

swapped the starter solenoid, no result.
              swapped the coil, no result.
              the weird thing was that we only had the starting problem when the motor was cold. if we let it run for a few minutes, it would start like it should.

well, after much testing, head scratching, and beer drinking we found the problem. ignintion control module. fifty five bucks from AutoZone and she starts like she should now.

if you choose to buy the part from AutoZone you might want to bring your old ICM with you because they sold me the wrong one the first time. the plugs on the one i bought were different from the plugs on my 87 yj. i brought it back and they did some digging and found one that matched out of an 89 yj.

btw, the ICM is located under the coolant overflow reservoir. three bolts accessed from the wheel well. easy.

hope this helps.

Comment

Yep!
                Thats what it was on myne to. I just fixed yesterday. I brought it into the shop and they diagnosed it pretty quick. It starts and runs better then ever now

Comment

Working...
                X