Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapped my driveshaft

Im new to jeep forums i just joined tonight after snapping my driveshaft and my put put yoke.93 sahara 4.0 5spd 30 inch tires....eventaully will be lifted and all that good stuff but i need to run it now but i dont want to spend money on stock axles so it does this again...what axle?how to go about doing the swap? difficulty level? and driveshaft upgarde ideas as well...please no initials or abbreviations...ive been reading sum forums and i can hardly understand them

my background.....some money,i can weld,some mechinical knowledge the willingness to try it till its correct thats what i got to work with ne help?
    topless till the snow falls

Here is what I would do:

Get a Ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, disc brakes and limited slip. It *should* bolt right into your YJ and can be had for about $300-$600 from a junkyard. You will also need to regear your front to match the 4.10 of the Ford 8.8. It actually might be cheaper to find a High Pinion Dana 30 from a 4 cyclinder YJ and swap it in as it will have 4.10 stock.

I cant remember if the Ford 8.8 uses a flange or yoke output. Hoepfully Nailer341 will chime in as he runs or ran one in his YJ.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
      Here is what I would do:

Get a Ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, disc brakes and limited slip. It *should* bolt right into your YJ and can be had for about $300-$600 from a junkyard. You will also need to regear your front to match the 4.10 of the Ford 8.8. It actually might be cheaper to find a High Pinion Dana 30 from a 4 cyclinder YJ and swap it in as it will have 4.10 stock.

I cant remember if the Ford 8.8 uses a flange or yoke output. Hoepfully Nailer341 will chime in as he runs or ran one in his YJ.

Thats good advice!

F8.8's have flanges.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
        Here is what I would do:

Would he need to weld new spring perches on??
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
          Would he need to weld new spring perches on??
          From what I hear the spring perches are close enough that you dont have to reweld them.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
            From what I hear the spring perches are close enough that you dont have to reweld them.
            this is true if you have 4"+ spring lift. however, it is best to cut them off, and reweld in the proper location, with the right pinion angle.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by I B J33p1n
              and driveshaft upgarde ideas as well...please no initials or abbreviations...
              WTF...only kidding ;-)

In stock form the U/Js are secured with straps and bolts, get rid of these as they are a weak link. Instead use U bolts.

You will have to get new yokes or you can drill and grind the stock ones to work, or so I believe.

doh! Universal Joints
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
              X