Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE Install

Everything is coming together so I can do the SYE install on my TJ

Reading, reading and more reading have I done and feel up to the task. As has been mentioned, a lot, get a good set of snapring pliers. I checked out SnapOn and just kind of shook my head.

Do this one look like the right one? SnapOn is not cheap so I want to avoid buying a whole set or one do not need.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

I think you will need lockring pliers too. I had some snapring pliers and it took me forever, then mrblaine told me that I needed lockring pliers. (I think that is what they are called.) Its an easy install.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Thanks. I ordered one just in case. Yes another tool to put in the used once draw
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Ugh, dont buy the cheap shit. I got a nice pair from sears that will do internal and external. It was worth the $30 or so bucks.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I got a pair from Matco was $32 or so. Could not find lockring pliers at SnapOn and the ones from Craftsman looked a little weak.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Ah, I was thinking snap rings, neveryoumind
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

SYE is a go for this Friday. Any comments on taking the tc out or leaving it on the Jeep? All the write-ups I have read refer to taking the tc out but have heard you can just leave it on the Jeep.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I left mine in, i found no problems with doing it that way.
                Supe
                97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I took mine out, read my write up ?
                  I think doing the write up was harder
                  Last edited by paulhead; 10-03-05, 06:09 PM.
                  “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                  -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                    I took mine out, read my write up ?
                    I think doing the write up was harder
                    Yes I read it, actually have read it many times.

See I am lazy, so not having to take the tc off the tranny is a big bonus for me
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

If you have the 6 ton tall jackstands I see no advantage to taking it out. To me it would have been just one more BIG step in the process to have to R&R it. There's just no problem pulling the output housing off and splitting the unit with the front half still in there. I put my floor jack under the bellhousing while I did the conversion work on the TC. I don't know, I did mine when the rear axle was out, so maybe I had extra room I hadn't taken into consideration. I installed my new axle after the TC conversion was done.

You do need the big sockets for the output shafts, and a big pipe wrench works great for holding the yokes while you loosen and tighten the nuts. Both front and rear DS's and yokes have to come off.

There were two hardest parts for me:
                      The first was getting the snap rings on and off. And I had to do the damn rings for the speedo drive gear twice because I put it on before I put the shaft in and then realized it needed to go on AFTER the housing is on. Yeah, I don't like reading directions!!

The second was getting the oil pickup tube on the pump and get the case halves mated back together with it connected. Just a bit of a trick.

Comment

SYE install is done. The lock ring pliers I got from Matco was worth every penny!

I haven't done a test drive yet as I ran into some issue reattaching the front drive shaft. It is a little long with the Rubicon D44 front and was a major pain to get back on.

Only one problem.

While I was cleaning everything up and putting away my tools I found that I forgot to put the magnet back into the transfer case. I completely understand what it is for but I can not see tearing it all down just to put it back in. I think it will be better to wait til I but the 2LO in.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions/Flamming?
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                          Flamming?
                          big dummy

I don't know man, when I did mine I did'nt find a substantial amount of metal but it's there for a reason.
                          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
                          X