Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Conversion...Need Help!

I have an 89 wrangler converted to the 4.0 and the next thing I want to upgrade is the rear axle. Was thinking about the Dana 60. Anyone out there with any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Come on guys... No one has any suggestions... I have learned that nothing is better than experience...

Comment

Dana 60

How wide are those YJ axles wms to wms? 60"? A lot of older Ford 3/4 tons have dana 60's cheap, say $150 from junkyard. Most are about 65" wide wms. However, maybe you want wider? If you go junkyard route, need to do a little homework to get higher spline counts. And of course they're 8 lug.
      1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Need a bit more info...

What kind of wheeling are you going to do? How big of tire are you wanting to run? How much money can you throw at it? Paying for the whole enchilada, or doing it yourself (and if that, what's your fabrication skill level)?

Dana 60 is a great axle (I know, I have one in my YJ), but the differential is about the size of Rhode Island. If you're playing in any kind of rocks - you're talking 35's for clearance (and then you need to start tossing cash at the front end).

Ford 8.8 is an easy swap, can be had with disc brakes (something that was NOT easy to do to my 5 on 5-1/2" Dana 60!)

Chevy 12 bolt has become a popular swap, but they do IIRC require you to narrow them. Lots of folks have grabbed matching 6 lug D44's from Waggy's (drivers side drop) and gone that route too.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I want to be able to do whatever I want to do within reason as far as the wheeling. I want to run 35's. Money isn't an issue. Might take more time but I need it done right. Depending on how busy I am and access to a garage would be determining factors on how much of the work I did but I know some good guys and their fabricating is awesome. I would prefer to keep the Jeep lug pattern if possible. Can the Dana 60's be narrowed? What do you suggest as far as the front end goes? I'm planning on ordering whatever I need by the end of the weekend. Is there any heavy duty tie rods etc...? I've been looking around but found nothing. And since you have a YJ, any other tips or useful bits of info would be appreciated. Thanks.

89 YJ, 4.0 Conversion, Borla Header, Custom Exhaust, K&N Intake, Rubicon Express Throttle Body Spacer, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Suspension Lift, M.O.R.E Front and Read Shock Relocation Brackets, M.O.R.E. 1" Body Lift Kit, Bilstein 5150 Shocks, M.O.R.E Bombproof Motor Mounts With 1" Motor Lift, Warn Front and Rear Rock Crusher Bumpers, '05 Rubicon Wheels with Goodyear MTR 315/75/R16's, All Original Paint and Interior, And the Cleanest Original 1989 Wrangler Sahara (Sahara Sand) Out There!

Comment

Hmm, if money is no object, call Currie and get a HP Dana 60, geared and locked

Only real issue with a D60 in a YJ is the fore to aft clearance. Don't even think of it without a SYE.

By Jeep lug pattern do you mean the 5 on 4-1/2" you have now or the older 5 on 5-1/2? Not much use for the smaller pattern (although you _can_ build a rear 60 that way, mine is punched for both). Once you start building a real front end, you'll find 5 on 4-1/2" won't work - can't run manual hubs. I built the rear axle first, ran the smaller pattern until I finished the D44 front - then did a weekend wheel swap.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I am putting a Currie 9 inch under the back of my CJ. 1400 with explorer disk brakes, without the pumpkin. I drove down friday and picked it up.
              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Working...
              X