Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibes bad for a Jeep?

Just wondering if Vibes from not putting on a SYE bad for the jeep?

I was going to install my new springs this weekend while I had my axle off, but I am not getting my SYE untill mid week next week. I know people run with vibes all the time, not intentionally, but will it ruin anything in the drivetrain. I have a TC drop and 3" springs now, I am going to 4" springs.

Thanks,

Supe
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Originally posted by TJSUPE
    Just wondering if Vibes from not putting on a SYE bad for the jeep?

I was going to install my new springs this weekend while I had my axle off, but I am not getting my SYE untill mid week next week. I know people run with vibes all the time, not intentionally, but will it ruin anything in the drivetrain. I have a TC drop and 3" springs now, I am going to 4" springs.

Thanks,

Supe
    Probably won't destroy anything in a week, but you should definitely get the SYE in there asap. Depending on how bad the vibes are you might want to drive it easy and stay off the highway.

Comment

Once you get your springs in there you can see how bad the vibrations are. The mis-alignment can destroy u-joints, output shaft seal and bearings, and pinion seal and bearings. If the vibrations are serious you would be better off to pull the rear DS and just run on the front. I did that on mine for a week while I waited for my new DS to arrive. Just run in 4-hi and you'll have front wheel drive, no problems with that.

The other issue is that 4" springs may be enough to make your stock length DS too short. Better check that out. I know for off-road flex it would definitely be too short, but for road you may be okay.

On the other hand you may also find that 3" to 4" spring may not be enough difference in DS angle to make much difference.

BTW, which springs/lift are you installing? You got adjustable control arms all the way round too, right? Adjustable trackbars, longer shocks? Extended brakelines? 4" lift is a pretty big step, it's just over the threshold that requires of a TON of modifications to make everything work right. Been there done that!

Comment

Its procomp springs with RE CA's. Adjustable lowers. YJ Brake lines. Sticking to 33's for now. Probably wont go to 35s for a while.

I have a 3" linft now with no problems, so I guess I will find out if the 1 inch increase will cause vibes.
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Working...
        X