Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dana 44 ;)

FINALLY!

Well, I am going to look at it next week. It is pretty set up with Disc brakes and ARB, shock relocation kit. the super 44 kit.

Is there anything visual I should be looking at when I check this axle out to make sure its a good buy? Any suggestions would be cool!

Thanks.
    Last edited by TJSUPE; 07-01-05, 04:58 PM.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Check all mounts near the welds for cracks/stress
    pull the shafts and look at the splines, bearings and seals
    Hook the arb to an air source and listen for leaks and make sure it locks.
    Make sure the housing is not bent (not sure the best way to do that).
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

How much?

The Super 44 kit is a joke IMHO. If you wheel like a normal human being you wont need the 33 spline axles. On top of that say you break one, a standard 44 shaft will not work, so your screwed. Unless you bought one of their spares, which I'm sure are pretty expensive. To me the draw back out weights the benifit.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

He is selling it with a spare (short end)
        1600 for everything: Super 44, disc brakes, shock relocation kit, ARB, 4.56's; all shop installed.
        I was looking to get something built, but this axle had pretty much everything I would want, and fortunately, he is right down the street from me.
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

Thats a good price. You could probably sell it for more.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
            He is selling it with a spare (short end)
            1600 for everything: Super 44, disc brakes, shock relocation kit, ARB, 4.56's; all shop installed.
            I was looking to get something built, but this axle had pretty much everything I would want, and fortunately, he is right down the street from me.
            My new oem housing with 4.10 and ARB was $1700 without brakes. I used my old 35 brakes, they're fine. We don't have the mud here like other parts of the country, so it's less of an issue. I think the disk brakes are worth at least a couple of hundred and are nice to have for improved braking performance.

I'm with Chris on the super 44, it's actually a disadvantage. Even if you do break an axle, sure as hell someone around will have one, or it's easy to get a stock one close by. They're VERY common.

It's a good deal anyway, but offer him $1500 to haul it away.

BTW, If you pull the cover, make sure the axle tubes are drilled as shown in the install manual. If you need a manual let me know, I can copy mine. My installer neglected to drill out the axle tubes so they drain back into the main housing. At freeway speeds it would build up pressure in the axle tube and spit oil out the vent tube. Gone unchecked it could have pushed oil out the pinion seal and axle seals. Not a pretty picture. Fortunetely I caught it right away and drilled them out. Works perfect now.

I would pull the cover and inspect the gears, and yes, test the locker.
            Last edited by cjdirtbiker; 07-01-05, 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Great, thanks for all the information.
              Noever would have thought that the super axles are a disadvantage, it makes sense the way you guys are explaining it. Fortunately a spare is included. I sure hope the axle is in good shape. I really want to take the next step.
              Supe

Comment

Get it and get it in!!

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                >snip
                I really want to take the next step.
                You will love it. Best thing I ever did to my jeep to make it "heavy duty". There was no way I was going to put money into a turdy five.

BTW, I doubt you'll ever break a super 44 axle, so don't worry yourself. Get it and get it in. You'll be glad you did. It will pull 35's no problem.

I'm going to try and pick up a HP 30 and put an ARB and alloy axles in it to upgrade my stock & open front.

Comment

Working...
                X