Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel injection

ok my 86 cj7 isnt the best at starts. ao i would like to upgrade to fuel injection. i could probably get my dad to fork out a lil bit cuz i know he wants it too (technically its still his jeep even tho i know more about it than him) so i was wondering if anyone has done this and is satisfied or knows of anyone who was pretty happy with theirs for the price. quadratec has 1 for around 1200 but it looks kinda cheezy but i dunno any help would be great.
    thanx
    Jim
    ../l ,[____],
    l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

I recently helped a buddy install FI on his 84 CJ-8. IIRC, there are 2 kits out there that will work...the mopar kit, and the "other" one (which is a GM 4.3l ECM and throttlebody, and a new wiring harness). We installed the latter of the two. It went in pretty easy, the only problem was not having the correct wiring diagram, so it took a little bit of thinking on our part to be sure we didn't rip out the wrong wires (with this kit, you remove ALOT of wiring---the engine compartment looks 100% better after the swap). He also has a fiberglass body, so we did have a ground problem when we were done, so the jeep wouldn't start. Once we added a ground wire to the coil (HEI conversion---coil mounted to the inner fender), it fired right up, and has ran great ever since. When he took it down for emissions, it blew a 32ppm HC, and 0.0% CO. Simply outstanding.

FWIW, the kit we installed does have a CARB EO number (meaning it is legal in CA).
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I am currently running the Holley 1D Pro-Jection. It replaces the carb, fuel pump, and few other componants, and could be installed and tuned in a weekend. I bought mine used for less than $300, but I also had to do alot of work to get it up and running for my application. They usually retail new for less than $900. I would recommend it people that what a major improvement over the stock carb. But for any real TBI performance gains, look to Howell, or Affordable Fuel Injection. Or you might get lucky find a used MPFI kit for even more performance.

Do lot's of research before making a decision. Good luck.

Comment

thanx for the help guys. i will be working hopefully 3 jobs this summer so maybe ill have enough money to get a fi and some other goodies. thanx for your help
        Jim
        ../l ,[____],
        l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
        ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

For the cost of the Mopar MPFI kit, you can find a low mileage used engine at the junkyard complete with harness and ECU and still have money left to blow on a $400 conversion wiring harness to make it all easy. Or just go with a TBI if you're not interested in swapping engines.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I ran the Howell kit on my old CJ... The product was great, easy to install, and once I got the wiring right (my fault) the Jeep ran better than ever for as long as I owned it. No off camber stumbling, no altitude problems. Also no cold weather starting problems. Make sure it is a closed loop system. Also the techs at Howell really know there stuff and are really helpfull.
            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Fuel Injection By Mopar

The Mopar injection on my 1986 CJ-7 is flawless. It ran strong even with a fouled #6 plug. Never stumbles, smooth idle and runs the same at all deck angles. The kit is complete and comes with a CARB exemption. You still need to run 91 octane.
              My other 2 CJ's had carbs and were a serious pain in the neck when the going was tough at altitude or at a stoplight when it was hot.
              Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front, Detroit No spins F/R, 4.56 /1
              Bulletproof front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper
              MPFI 258ci I6 by Clifford
              35" BFG AT, 4 wheel disc brakes
              4.5" Superlift, 2" body lift
              Bad to the bone.[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed]

Comment

Jeez I was JUST thinking this morning as my Jeep was sputtering at a signal that I wanted to upgrade to Injection....
                Is the cheaper kit of quality?? I would rather spend a little more for the Mopar kit if its worth it!
                Any thoughs anyone?
                1983 CJ-7, I bought her when I was 15, she's my baby

Comment

MoPar kit will adjust timeing, and does away with more of the smog stuff.
                  1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Right on! I HATE my smog stuff! I can just hear my engine choking for breath under all the plastic bullshit.
                    Its legal in Cali as well, correct?
                    1983 CJ-7, I bought her when I was 15, she's my baby

Comment

I don't want to Hi-Jack this thread. :hijack: but Todd, I was checking out that Holley TBI kit... Google comes up with nothing for AFI, you gotta url for them?
                      Last edited by USMC 0369; 10-12-05, 11:27 AM.
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X