Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here....got some ???'s

I know a decent amount about jeeps but i am new to these forums, anyways...i got a 258 inline 6 in my CJ7...i was wondering if anyone is running fuel injection? If so what kit are you running/what would you recommend? Would i be better off getting a performance carb, like a webber?

MOPAR injection works great, costs about 1200 bucks
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

it might be cheaper to find a FI motor and swap it in. maybe??

Comment

The Mopar MPFI system cannot be had for less than about $2100. You can get a TBI setup from Howell or others for about $1200.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I put a 4.0 from a 1990 XJ in my 1980 CJ, I paid 200$ for the whole truck. The conversion cost about 600$ but i reused the XJ (Cherokee) wiring and computer.

Ron
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

You could always swap in a 4.0 head, intake, and exhaust, not sure if the brake booster would clear, but it would definitely be worth looking into.

Comment

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4422
              ../l ,[____],
              l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
              ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

Originally posted by shortbus
                You could always swap in a 4.0 head, intake, and exhaust, not sure if the brake booster would clear, but it would definitely be worth looking into.
                I considered this when collecting parts (read: engine, harness, etc) for my conversion, but once I figured out everything involved, I firmly believe the Jeep will be down for much less time and things are simpler if you just swap the whole mess out. If you swap the head, you really need to pull the engine to do it easily anyway, so there is not much difference labor wise. Plus, you have to modify the power steering bracket, or swap to the newer style pump. You also have to plug some holes in the water jacket on the 4.0L head, which just sounds like a bad idea to me for some reason. So I elected to get a complete engine and build the thing in the garage rather than tearing the existing engine apart to swap things out. A 4.0L engine can be had for around $400, and most places are getting $100 - $200 for a head.
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                X