Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive train ?

I have a ? on my 77 CJ7 drive train. I have a 304 v8 with a T150 tranny and what appears to be stock dana 30 in front and AMC 20 rear. its a 3 speed tranny and 31 inch tires. what kind of Highway speeds am I looking at? This is a project vehicle and im trying to decide if a major swap is in order. I would like to do 60- 65 if possible. also is the T150 strong and reliable for trails? also some one told me to swapout the two piece axles in the rear for one piece (forged). any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you keep the AMC 20, and run difficult trails, you will want the one piece shafts.

Your highway speeds are going to depend largely on the axle gear ratio you use.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Gears

Ok , that makes sense to me. Is there a way to find out what gears you have without taking them out? there is no tags on front dana 30 or AMC 20 rear diferentials

I pulled the rear Tires off the jeep and new imeadiately something was wrong here. the passenger side reat drum was soaked with what appeared to be gear oil. i pulled off the drum and it was full of gunk! it appears to be a mixture of gear oil and dirt. the axle it self moves in and out about 1 - 2 inches, is that normal? I pulled the differential cover and it was about 3/4 full of brownish green soup! but deffinately gear oil by the smell with the concistancy of pancake mix. not sure if thats normal or not.
      Last edited by 4wheelintime; 04-20-05, 04:10 PM. Reason: new discovery for me

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelintime
        Ok , that makes sense to me. Is there a way to find out what gears you have without taking them out? there is no tags on front dana 30 or AMC 20 rear diferentials
        The gear ratio is how many spins of the pinion it takes to spin the wheel once. IIRC, lift the axle in question so the wheels are suspended (use proper jack stands and chock appropriately). Mark the driveshaft with a bit of whiteout so you can follow the revolutions. Place vehicle in T-Case neutral. Have one friend hold opposite wheel in place. Have another friend turn the other wheel one revolution and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft takes.

I could be remembering this all wrong of course.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
          The gear ratio is how many spins of the pinion it takes to spin the wheel once. IIRC, lift the axle in question so the wheels are suspended (use proper jack stands and chock appropriately). Mark the driveshaft with a bit of whiteout so you can follow the revolutions. Place vehicle in T-Case neutral. Have one friend hold opposite wheel in place. Have another friend turn the other wheel one revolution and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft takes.

I could be remembering this all wrong of course.
          If you're really lucky the axle tags may still be on the housing covers, and they'll have all the relevant info, like I said you may be really lucky!
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
            If you're really lucky the axle tags may still be on the housing covers, and they'll have all the relevant info, like I said you may be really lucky!
            But then I should have read you're post saying there where no tags... DUH!
            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
            X