Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about gears, noobie

So i was thinking or re-gearing my YJ. Problem is I know nothing about it. So.... My YJ is a daily right now and probably will continue to be but I'm told the 2.5l wont turn 33's unless it has massive motor work or its re-geared. So could I re-gear it and still be able to use it every day? And if I could what kind of gears would I want and are they something I could install or does it have to be brought into someone?

I see peoples sigs saying 4.88's Im guessing they are refering to gears... is this true? I see a lot of people with them...
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

That is correct. 4.88's would be a good combo but you are looking at $1200 to regear both axles.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Definatley 4.88s with the four banger, I have 32s and it was ok with with the stock 4.10s, but definatley alot better with 4.88s, Im from Minnesota My self, and will give a call to some of my relatives in the Minneapolis area and see who does there gears up there (My uncle races pro stadium trucks) You can expect to pay about 130 per gear set, 80 for install kits for each axle so thats 420 in parts, and usually that other part of 1200 that igofshn gave is about right for average installs but there are places out there "usually fellow jeepers" that do a good job and do it for 150-275 an axle. So you may be able to save some money there... Otherwise your not going to be able to do "massive motor work" to the 2.5 and get much out of it.
      Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

indeedy 4.88's I've got 35's and they work pretty well and put up with my driving, 3000 rpm at 65mph in 5th
        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

i have 4.88 on my wifes 4 banger with 33" tires. it works nicely.
          as far as gear brands, i would get spicer, or superior.
          i broke a precision brand ring gear, and they wouldnt warranty it, so i dont recommend them at all.
          pay someone to put them in for you.
          it is aso wise [if you have the money] to do your lockers at the same time.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Hey thatnx alot guys. When you change gears does it just change the front and rear diffs or does it change them in the tranny/transfer case also? And will it make a difference that I have a tranny out of a 4.0l?
            Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

just front and rear differentials.
              no matter what type of transmission you have in there.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

O I see. I thought it re-geared the tranny also, I just replaced a tranny and it wasnt fun so I dont wanna hafta rip it out again. Thanx a lot guys.
                Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Working...
                X