Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0L tb on a 2.5L?

I saw somewhere a guy had a 4.0L throttle body on a 2.5L. Do they just bolt up or was there a buncha stuff he had to do to acomplish this? And if they do bolt up will it do any good? I need to add a few extra ponies here soon but I'm kinda tight on cash so I'm hoping there are some things I can do for cheap with stock parts. For example with my Honda I can swap parts from other motors and it helps with certain things ect...

Also, are there any easy quick power adders anyone knows of?
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

The throttle body is a pretty easy swap, just make sure you get one from a similar year vehicle to make sure you have the correct sensor hookups, you may also want to add in a TB spacer as well, it seems to help a little more. Getting HP out of a 2.5 is tough, it took me a while to get even a little extra. The list is a follows, Flex-a-lite electric fan, Cat back exhaust, big front pipe (from header to cat) Hi flow cat, Turbo city hi flow intake, 4.0 tb, adjustable MAP sensor, modified crank position sensor. One thing I actually swapped back was the header, the one i installed actually felt like i lost power, problem with freeflow is that you can lose torque, as torque has a relationship to back pressure so you have to be carefull of playing with it too much. Saying that i've got my heart set on the new Banks header. All these mods wern't cheap but then i've done this over the last few years, a little here and a little there so $ were a little easier to find. As for power increase, I know I have more HP and torque but exactly what that is I'm unsure. Unfortunatly the only wa yto get big numbers, say 50hp + is the old Supercharger/Nitrous/motor swap etc. Hope this helps
    Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Will the 4.0L tb off a Cherokee work? Does it have to be off a 5spd or can it come from an auto also. And do I order a tb spacer for the 2.5l or the 4.0L?
      Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

If you run a 4.0 tb then definatly get a 4.0 tb spacer, I know a lot of guys who just run the 4.0 spacer with their stock 2.5 tb (no real advantage IMO) as for the TB as long as the body has the same sensor hookups you want to look for manifold air pressure sensor hookup and throttle position sensor locations, I think sensor hookups have more to do with year of manufacture rather than model of vehicle, and the tranny shouldn't make any difference. Check out this page on the mod they also have some other good tech for 4 bangers like your's and mine! :beer:

4 bangers united
        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Yeah I think I will hit up the junk yard tommorrow and check out the tb for that cherokee make sure its going to plug in fine. I will def get a spacer, I am friends with the owner of the local performance shop here so I get things for cost sometimes cheaper (I pretty much built my car through him) so.....
          What about electric fans.... how does that help any and is it gonna be worth it?
          Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

the electric fan probably gave me the most noticable power gain of any single mod, definatly worth the cash. Flex-a-lite reckon on about 13-15 extra hp, not sure if that's true but I got a seat of the pants reaction! BTW a lot of my extra HP has dissapeared into my 9lbs of extra weight on my flywheel! helps me crawl!

Comment

Sounds like Andy did a lot of the stuff I have done- minus the exhaust.

I have a 4.0 TB and spacer and it made a moderate difference in the butt dyno. Like Andy said, I did a Taurus fan and THAT my friends is why you don't need a big motor. That is what I'd be looking to do first.

You can do all of it pretty cheap. I think I have $60 in the TB and spacer for mine and another $60 or so on the fan setup.

I am still suffering in CO but will be back closer to sea level where I think I'll really see the rewards.
              '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
              www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

2.5L 4 Banger Websites?

Can anyone send me a few good websites for our 2.5L ?

Esp. looking for DIY How-To Tips... pics, etc.

THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoeger
                  Can anyone send me a few good websites for our 2.5L ?
                  There's nothing really out there, 4 bangersunited used to be pretty descent, however they dissapeared.....for general stuff there's jeepsonly.com.

There's plenty of people who trawl around here with 2.5's so ask away and i'm sure someone will know the answer....

Comment

4 Banger Site

I don't know of a site, but there is a fairly active discussion group on yahoo......

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4bangers/

It has some reviews and how to's

Comment

oh and I forgot the 4bangerjp.com site, its small but has some usefull stuff on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X