Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy V8 in my TJ

I am putting a chevy V8 and chevy 350auto in my 1997 TJ. This is going to have a carburetor. I have looked everywhere for help on the wiring but have had no luck. I found a lot of info on TPI. I am just wondering if some one has already done this and may have some pointers. I know the computer is going to give me a rough time!
    [COLOR=Red]chief[/COLOR] :gun:

Computer? I thought you said it's going to have a carburetor? If you're asking if TPI is worth the trouble, I say yes. But that is dependent on what you are going to do with the Jeep. If it's going to go cruisin down 8 mile, burnin tires and not see much off camber action, then maybe the carb is the best way to go. However, I would not trade fuel injection for a carburetor in the rocks (you have lots of those in Lapeer, I'm sure ) if given the choice. In fact, I'm going through significant expense and trouble to convert to EFI. Many others do the same. The TPI in particular is supposedly much simpler than some EFI can be. Howell is a good way to go from what I've heard and researched. I was going to do this setup on my I-6 until I ran across a junkyard MPI 4.0L.

It all depends on what you use it for. What are Michigans smog laws like? The carburetor option is not an option out here on the left coast.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
      Computer? I thought you said it's going to have a carburetor? If you're asking if TPI is worth the trouble, I say yes. But that is dependent on what you are going to do with the Jeep. If it's going to go cruisin down 8 mile, burnin tires and not see much off camber action, then maybe the carb is the best way to go. However, I would not trade fuel injection for a carburetor in the rocks (you have lots of those in Lapeer, I'm sure ) if given the choice. In fact, I'm going through significant expense and trouble to convert to EFI. Many others do the same. The TPI in particular is supposedly much simpler than some EFI can be. Howell is a good way to go from what I've heard and researched. I was going to do this setup on my I-6 until I ran across a junkyard MPI 4.0L.

It all depends on what you use it for. What are Michigans smog laws like? The carburetor option is not an option out here on the left coast.
      I use my Jeep a lot in the sand dunes over by Lake Michigan. Due to cost, I am going to run the carb set-up. The engine is complete and running good in another vehicle with the carb. I do have a TPI set up with the computer from a Corvette that I want to convert to at a later date. In order to use the TPI, I will need to purchase new heads and a harness to hook the two units together. Those two items will be about $2,000. The extra cost is not an option this year.

I don't have to deal with any smog laws in the area that I live, at least not at this time. I am sure that eventually my area will become involved in the vehicle inspections etc. That's another reason why I am holding on to this Corvette TPI. I know that ultimately the TPI is the better choice, unfortunately, it's not in the budget.

My original question was in regards to what does the computer run other than the fuel system? I will have to by-pass the computer because of the carb. What all will this effect? Will I be able to use my factory gauges? Are there any other functions that the computer performs that will affect me?

I will be starting this project this Saturday 3/12/05. I will keep you all posted of the progress. Any input would be appreciated!
      :confused:

Comment

Update

Just to give an update, the engine is in. I was told that the transfer case would fit back into it's original location. No way! It ended up about 2" forward from the stock location. Therefore the front drive shaft is getting cut and the rear is getting lengthened. I used a Novak adapter kit and their support was very helpful. The only real problem that I ran into was trying to put the 350 trans and the transfer case together. I found out that there is about 26 variations of transfer case input shaft lengths. I ended up cutting 3/8" off of the shaft. All I have left to do is electrical, exhaust and radiator. I will give another update and a couple of pictures hopefully in a week or so.

Originally posted by chief
        I use my Jeep a lot in the sand dunes over by Lake Michigan. Due to cost, I am going to run the carb set-up. The engine is complete and running good in another vehicle with the carb. I do have a TPI set up with the computer from a Corvette that I want to convert to at a later date. In order to use the TPI, I will need to purchase new heads and a harness to hook the two units together. Those two items will be about $2,000. The extra cost is not an option this year.

I don't have to deal with any smog laws in the area that I live, at least not at this time. I am sure that eventually my area will become involved in the vehicle inspections etc. That's another reason why I am holding on to this Corvette TPI. I know that ultimately the TPI is the better choice, unfortunately, it's not in the budget.

My original question was in regards to what does the computer run other than the fuel system? I will have to by-pass the computer because of the carb. What all will this effect? Will I be able to use my factory gauges? Are there any other functions that the computer performs that will affect me?

I will be starting this project this Saturday 3/12/05. I will keep you all posted of the progress. Any input would be appreciated!
        :confused:

Comment

Let me see, Chevy with a Carb and a chevy trans.... Alt wire, coil wire, oil press, water temp, start... five or six wires? unplug the computer, use a manual fuel pump or an electric with an oil pressure switch.

I love MPFI I put a 4.0 in my CJ7 to get fuel injection.
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

I understand what your saying. Unfortunitly, the gauge cluster receives its signal from the computer. I am trying to keep my factory gauges (if possible). I was told that if I use the 4.0 temp and oil pressure sending units and just plumb them to fit the chevy that they will work. I believe that the only gauge that I will loose will be the tach. The fuel pump receives its information to turn on from the computer. I believe that if I jump the relay that I can by-pass the computer for this function. I have already installed a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure before it gets to the holley four barrel. By doing this, I will not loose my fuel gauge. If all of the above doesn't work out, I'm going to make a new gauge cluster and use all after market gauges. I'm trying my hardest to keep the factory look . . . until you open up the hood!

Comment

Any updates on the Install???

Comment

It's almost done!!!!
                All I have left to do is install the drive shafts and exhaust. I can't get the oil pressure or temp gauge to work. I'm just going to put some after market gauges under the dash until later this summer. Starting this V8 up in the garage has got me excited to get it on the road. This has been kind of a pain but hopefully it will be worth it. In the next few days, I will get some pictures posted.

Comment

Working...
                X