Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

loss of power when engine is running and warmed up!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of power when engine is running and warmed up!

hey everyone! i'm new to this, so i'll just ask and hope for the best. i've been experiencing some problems with power loss. it lopes when the gas pedal is pushed any less than to the floor. my check engine light is on. i've diconnected and re-connected what i believe is the mass airflow sensor just before the intake manifold and that seemed to temporarily fix it, but the problem returns intermitantly. any help would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

year, model?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Sounds like it could be the dreaded TPS.

I second what Chris said. need to know a little more to give any kind of real help.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I Experienced A Power Loss A Few Mounths Ago With Mine I Would Give It Gas And It Just Wouldn't Take Off Like It Use To Then One Day I Was Going Up A Hill And It Would Only Go 35 Mph With The Peddle To The Floor. And It Ended Up Being The Cat. It Was Clogged Up.

Comment

engine power loss

oops! sorry :oops: , it's a '97 wrangler, 2.5l. 4cyl. everything stock. no mods, no frills, no balls! i've already taken the gas tank off. i cleaned the filter (apparently they only sell the entire pump unit, no replacement filters), so i guess that's taken care of.

Comment

Try either one of these and see which one works:

Older (OBDI) models 84-96/97 - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Newer (OBDII) models 97+ - Put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number. It will then show the error codes (it might show them starting with P). If this method does not work, try the OBDI method.

then post the code.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The same thing happened to our 2.5l TJ just over a year ago. The innards of the cat were breaking up and clogging the muffler. This cat problem is not uncommon among late model Jeeps and Dodge trucks.
              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Working...
              X