Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Hi, im new and im looking to possibly get a 92-95 jeep wrangler. I was thinking about buying a 4cyl but was wondering if they had enough for the trails and daily driving. Im planning to lift it and run 33's. If anyone has a 4cyl wrangler post back how its doing horsepower wise. thanks.

Welcome to the Board.

I have a 98TJ 4Banger with 33s. Its not the fastest thing on the planet, but it works as a daily driver. On the trail it seems to work ok. I have found that the real steep stuff bogs it a bit, but I have plans to put an inertia ring to keep it from stalling out.

There are some things that you can do to minimize the lack O power, like getting a throttle body spacer, an inertia ring, and a set of lower gears.
    AriZonaTJ

======================
    0[_____]0
    .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
    []===0=[]
    ======================

Comment

i have a 04 2.4 and let me tell you what it stinks on the high way i can not use 5th gear will run 55 on speedo at around 2800 on the trail in 4lo does good the steep stuff does bog it a bit i agree with the for mentioned that a few minor hopups should fix this i myself am planning a 4.88 gear swap, although i may only be able to do one axle at a time so i may be with out 4wheeldrive cause the rear is first so i may be saying bye bye front drive shaft.
      im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
      4 inch rough country lift
      35x12.5LT16's
      super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Originally posted by drodas
        Hi, im new and im looking to possibly get a 92-95 jeep wrangler. I was thinking about buying a 4cyl but was wondering if they had enough for the trails and daily driving. Im planning to lift it and run 33's. If anyone has a 4cyl wrangler post back how its doing horsepower wise. thanks.
        I have the 6 in mine but went wheeling with a guy that had the 4, I didnt even realize he had it until we were on the trail and i noticed the sticker on the back, He was doing a great job keeping up speed on the road and everything i did on the trail he did with ease...
        04TJ, 4.0 5spd
        4" rough country springs
        Nth degree arms upper and lower
        1" Currie MML/BL
        Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
        33"BFG MT's
        Lock-rite in the front

Comment

How to Build a 2.5L YJ (jpmagazine.com)
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

The answer is to RE-GEAR!

Before I re-geared to 4.88's I too could not get into 5th gear - only able to on long, flat stretches.

I have absolutely no problem keeping up with traffic. I can easily maintain 70-75mph on the freeway (3000-3200rpm respectively). On flat stretches I can run 80+ (3500 rpm)! I have plenty of torque for the steep sections on the trail with no bogging down.

It's expensive to re-gear but totally worth it. It makes driving your Jeep fun again! Remember that..."FUN again"!

Before dropping any hard earned cash into a throttle body, air intake tube or an intertia ring (need to drill extra holes into the flywheel), RE-GEAR 1st! If you have a 4-banger like me and want to run 33's, get 4.88's. Don't mess with 4.56's. Heck, stock comes with 4.11's; 4.56's aren't much of a step down (up numerically LOL!)

Don't forget to change your speedometer gear in your t-case to compensate for the larger diameter tires.

After re-gearing, I highly recommend getting a Jet Performance Module/Chip for your rig. Get the STAGE II. Don't waste money with the STAGE I. You'll notice a real improvement in off-the-line acceleration, and overall power throughout the powerband.

Enough of my rambling! Now get out there and RE-GEAR!

Comment

One of the guys I wheel with has been running a 4banner for years. He has 35's with 4.56 gears. He wants to go to 4.88 gears but it has something to do about the kids needing shoes. He had to replace the motor once. His wife dropped it in a ditch nose first, straight up and down. He bought it new and has over 200,000 miles not easy miles.
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Our Jeep (Marvin) is a '98TJ four banger with 4" of lift and 33" tires. We moved up to 4.56 gears. Fifth gear goes away up hill and over 65mph due to those impressive Jeep aerodynamics and the overhead rack. However it runs like gangbusters on the trail. I found the best mods for economy and power were the gears and a Turbo-city intake. I figure the gears pretty much cancel out the larger tire size, however we still get better mileage than we did before getting bigger tires and gears. This I attribute to the intake. Plus in sounds really bitchin' !
                Last edited by king4wd; 01-22-05, 01:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
                It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by m1jeep
                  I have absolutely no problem keeping up with traffic. I can easily maintain 70-75mph on the freeway (3000-3200rpm respectively). On flat stretches I can run 80+ (3500 rpm)! I have plenty of torque for the steep sections on the trail with no bogging down.
                  I am courious what gas milage you are getting with 4.88s.
                  AriZonaTJ

======================
                  0[_____]0
                  .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
                  []===0=[]
                  ======================

Comment

Originally posted by AVNATIVE
                    I have the 6 in mine but went wheeling with a guy that had the 4, I didnt even realize he had it until we were on the trail and i noticed the sticker on the back, He was doing a great job keeping up speed on the road and everything i did on the trail he did with ease...

Sticker?
                    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                      Sticker?
                      Yes, the one that said 2.5, I dont remember which side.. on one of the back corners
                      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                      4" rough country springs
                      1" Currie MML/BL
                      33"BFG MT's
                      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Gas mileage

Originally posted by AriZonaTJ
                        I am courious what gas milage you are getting with 4.88s.
                        I've been closely following my mileage over the years...I get an average of 17mpg. Results may vary, it all depends on how hard/easy one drive's his/her Jeep.

Comment

Could it be my TJ?

Yes, the one that said 2.5, I dont remember which side.. on one of the back corners

I have a 2.5L "high output" sticker on the right rear corner of my dark blue TJ. But the only run I've been on with MJR was Last Chance last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by m1jeep
                            I have a 2.5L "high output" sticker on the right rear corner of my dark blue TJ. But the only run I've been on with MJR was Last Chance last summer.
                            I think so, I'm bad with names but as your describe where and the sticker, I do think it is you, I was the one with the silver jeep stock on 31's, Its grown up a bit since then but i remember being suprised when i saw the 2.5 on there as your jeep was doing a great job...
                            04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                            4" rough country springs
                            1" Currie MML/BL
                            33"BFG MT's
                            Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Newone?

I think so, I'm bad with names but as your describe where and the sticker, I do think it is you, I was the one with the silver jeep stock on 31's, Its grown up a bit since then but i remember being suprised when i saw the 2.5 on there as your jeep was doing a great job...

Did you used to be User ID "NewOne"???

Comment

Working...
                              X