Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TJ 4 Cyl w. Auto Trans. Really Really Slow... Problem?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ 4 Cyl w. Auto Trans. Really Really Slow... Problem?

I think I may have a problem with my trans, as this thing takes off like it's plowing thru mud of the line. I know the 4 cyl with the Automatic is supposed to be slow.. but how slow? I would describe mine as "God Awful Slow" from 0-10 mph.. and then picks up acceleration around 10 or 15 mph? Feels like it's slipping off the line, and then kinda "jerks" around 15 mph,and then it's ok after that....

Any other 4 cyl / Automatic TJ's out there? Is yours peppy at all off the line?

see: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3224
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

mine is no auto but boy is it slow at all speeds and all gears i can not use gear number 5 at all just had to get that off my chest
      im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
      4 inch rough country lift
      35x12.5LT16's
      super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

can you feel it go through the gears?
        do you think it possible that you are starting off in second gear?
        it sounds like a possibility.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

1st Gear isn't engaging when in "D" (Auto Trans)

Yes, that correct.. no first gear. I figured out on Saturday that my trans wasn't engaging 1st gear, it was starting in 2nd, and probably doing some damage to internal clutches and whatnot. There was horrible burning smell and even some smoke. Ugh.

The good news is that it *WILL* go into 1st if I select that gear manually, and then upshift to "2" or "D" as I accelerate. But as of now it doesn't do it on it's own. On a suggestion, I'm going to check out the throttle position sensor "Kickdown Linkage". Cross your fingers, and shoot back a reply if you can think of any other reason why my automatic tranny wouldn't engage 1st by itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoeger
            Yes, that correct.. no first gear. I figured out on Saturday that my trans wasn't engaging 1st gear, it was starting in 2nd, and probably doing some damage to internal clutches and whatnot. There was horrible burning smell and even some smoke. Ugh.

The good news is that it *WILL* go into 1st if I select that gear manually, and then upshift to "2" or "D" as I accelerate. But as of now it doesn't do it on it's own. On a suggestion, I'm going to check out the throttle position sensor "Kickdown Linkage". Cross your fingers, and shoot back a reply if you can think of any other reason why my automatic tranny wouldn't engage 1st by itself...
            while your at it, check the shifter linkage as well. just for shits and giggles
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Shiftdown linkage clip didn't solve

Removed and reinstalled shiftdown linkage clip, but it didn't fix. Cable seemed to have a little slack beforehand, and *maybe* it tightened up a bit... but I guess not enough.

On my test drive, while in "2"... and rolling about 10mph... I got it to downshift to 1st... but I really had to mash the pedal.

Tried giving it a healthy gassing from a full stop, (still in 2) but still just chugged along in 2nd. I only tried it a couple times cause I'm sure I'm burning up some internal clutches/bands, eh?

Is there a shiftdown adjustment at the other end where the cable meets the tranny?

Comment

? Writeup on how to check/adjust the shifter linkage ?

Originally posted by Dukes69
                while your at it, check the shifter linkage as well.
                -> I'd LOVE to!!! ... (pause)... um... does anyone have a link or a writeup?

(I tried search, but the posts seemed to be higher level than what I need)

Comment

Working...
                X