Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renix 4.0 Swap

Any one done a Renix 4.0 Swap into a CJ?

Pros? Cons?

The pros that I see... I have one, an adapter from the AX15 to a Dana 300 is cheap. My flexalite fans will cool it. The engine mounts are the same as a 4.2.

Thanks
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Why not do the later style MPI swap? Do you already have a Renix engine laying around? If not I would shop for a 91-95 MPI engine.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
      Why not do the later style MPI swap? Do you already have a Renix engine laying around? If not I would shop for a 91-95 MPI engine.

I have a 1990 XJ for free. Rebuild about 40,000 ago. The RENIX injection runs good, and the people I have talked with say it handles stroking better then OBDII.

Comment

Ah, so you're gonna build a stroker out of her? That's cool. I think the Renix FI is a little more forgiving when you start tweaking. The 91-95 are OBDI, OBDII is 97+, but you are still correct - they are a bit more forgiving than even the OBDI I think. Either way, you shouldn't have too much trouble if you buy the wiring harness. I'm not sure I've seen a Renix conversion harness, but maybe Painless or someone makes one. Otherwise, you need to get very familiar with both vehicles' wiring diagrams to make the splices. All said and done, I've heard that even without the conversion harness the swap is not that difficult to wire, maybe a half day of scratching your head. That call depends on the condition of your existing harness. Mine is pretty much wasted, so it was a no brainer to decide to scrap the old one for the conversion harness...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Renix 4.0

The wiring harness from the computer to all the sensors on the engine, coil, and relays is one piece. I unplugged the computer and pulled the engine harness and all. Then I stripped from the front harness what I needed to hook the engine to the CJ. It is now sitting in the CJ and looks pritty good.

It looks small compaired to the 360 that came out. (Got tired of the mileage)

Ron

Comment

resurrecting an old thread, but I failed to post after my install was complete and the swap passed at the smog referee station.

The thing runs good too.

Comment

DavisRat, not to sure who your talking to that says the Renix is better suited for a stroker than the OBDII. go join or at least browse the yahoo stroker group, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers/ and see what everyone says. there are ALOT more options with the newer throttle body, intake and injector system. BIG HP gains to.. either way your doing good by stroking it, but i just think you could do a little better.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Already there, been a group member for a year or so. The renix is not necessarily better for power but they say it is less problematic tuning wise.

Comment

probably because you can make a home made map adjustor where i believe the OBDII is computer driven. i think that alot of the people who have problems after a stroker build would have the same problems with a simple rebuild. they think that the engine is going to fix ALL their problems when all of their problems werent the engine in the 1st place. you also have to really balance fuel/air out. some of these guys run 19lb injectors and 68mm throttle bodies and cant figure out whats wrong.

Comment

I like late MPFI with minor upgrades and GEARING = Dependability. I think alot of people put too much emphesis on major mods and horsepower. Only my opinion. ........BJ

Comment

i like your formula but with a little more displacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X