Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing Race

I am trying to install the inner pinion bearing race into a new axle housing (Rubicon Dana 44 Rear). The sucka just won't go in. The outer race popped in with just a few taps.

I have tried freezing the race and still no go.

On closer inspection, it looks like the machining in the axle housing is off. There is a tiny little lip midway down the bearing race seat (I think thats what you call the circle part where the bearing race is installed).

Is it going to be okay to pull out the dremel and grind things out a bit?

Any ideas/comments/suggestions are welcome.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Okay, did a little research and probably the best thing to use is a cylinder hone and slow try to work the bearing race seat out to where the race can go in. I am looking at getting a craftsman or should I pop down the xtra money for a snap-on?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I would be a little leery of modifing the housing. You dont want the race spinning in the housing. Check the part numbers on the race and make sure they are the same. :2:
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I agree. Before you start grinding up what was probably a very expensive axle housing, check everything out first. I would measure the ID of the bore, and the OD of the bearing race. The race should be bigger than the bore by less than .002". The bore should NOT be BIGGER than the race!!!! Of course, I doubt that you will find the bore to be oversized (if it was, then you wouldn't be having problems putting the race in).

Without seeing it in person, I will refrain from suggesting you open the bore up to fit the bearing.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I went through this mess last summer with my d35. If they work the same, then the inner race won't seat all the way. It seats fully when you seat the bearings via the pinion nut. I hope you have a LOONNGG breaker bar
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Here are some measurements:

Race: 2.985
            Race from other D44 Install Kit (to be used in the front): 3.000

Bore is at least 2.905. My Dial calipers won't fit inside the housing so I took a galzined pipe cap that would slid into the bore. Tight but not real tight.

kind4wd:

How long is long? I have one thats 2.5 or 3 feet. I bet they work the same both being Danas.. Just odd that the odd race went in so easily.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

searching the web I found two differant install kits (ring and pinion) for the dana 44 for the TJ. not sure what the differance is. But I'll call my parts guy on monday.
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I appericate it. I am going to call Randy's Ring and Pinion on Monday and see what they have to say. I got the gear set and install kits from them.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Talked with Randy's Ring and Pinion. There is nothing special about the rubicon dana 44 so it should take a standard D44 Inner Pinion Bearing. The spec for the inner pinion bearing race is 3.000 inches. They don't recommend using the pinion nut to seat the race as it could strip the threads. So, I am looking at taking it to a machine shop to check the bore. I am going to check my front 44 and see how the race sits in there tonight (if its not raining).
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Update:

After talking with one of the techs at Randy's Ring and Pinion and thinking of king4wd solution I made a trip to home depot. I picked up a 2' section of 1/2" threaded rod, a couple nuts, washers and a pipe flange. By setting a bearing race driver puck on one end, I will use it to seat the bearing race all the way down. Seeing as how I spent about $8.00, anything that gets stripped is no big lose. I will try to get a pic of this as I am not describing it to well.

Probably be next week until I get a time to try, so I will let you know then.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

that is a good idea wish i myself would have thought of something like that when building gm 10 bolts i always used the pinion nut. good idea once again
                      im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
                      4 inch rough country lift
                      35x12.5LT16's
                      super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Working...
                      X