Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the fluid change(Pensoil stuff, Dodge dealer closed) and it quited down but did not go away. Anyway let me know what the man says. By the way my trans has almost the same milage as yours...
    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
      I tried the fluid change(Pensoil stuff, Dodge dealer closed) and it quited down but did not go away. Anyway let me know what the man says. By the way my trans has almost the same milage as yours...
      You first!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Allready tried dealer, Service manager said I have modified it and use it for severe off-road use so warrenty is out. I think the new flat skid plate gave me away. Anyway I am going to take it to the shop that did my t-case and see what they say. By the way a new NV-3550 is going for $2000.00 from Jeep...
        That's a BIG rock!

Comment

No need to buy a new trans, especially not from Jeep... Either find a donor used one, or just rebuild it. Any trans with ~40k on it has to be really broken (i.e., damaged shafts and gears) to even consider scrapping it, and even then it would likely be much cheaper to rebuild it. If you're not willing to shell out the dough for a shop to do it, it is not an incredible task to do it yourself. You just need some basic tools, a very select few special tools, and a service manual to get you through it. Oh yeah, and a free weekend or two when you're willing to put in a couple 12 hour days... When my T5 went out on the CJ, I found a used trans for $150 and took parts from it and mine to make one good one (along with a complete rebuild kit). I think the whole thing cost about $300. It was not that big a deal because I don't have to drive the Jeep. In the case where your jeep is your DD, I would find a decent used trans and rebuild it or at least take a look at the bearings. If yours can lose a bearing at 40k, then one you find used could have the same problem...

Or you guys could just swap in autos...
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

ok so now i am not as worried my heep only has 9200 miles on it and it makes all kind of noise from 1st to 5th every gear every t-case position mostly while coasting with clutch in does also if and when can use 5th while just cruisin no load like goin down hill, which is bout the only time i can use 5th, thought trans whas messd went to dealer they say no way wont look at it no warranty is modified, then i thougth was maybe the t-case, but noise is there coasting with t-case in neutral, i am just going to wait and hope it makes it till i can find am a donor 6-speed and then going to 4.56, or lower gears so i can use them extra gears
            im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
            4 inch rough country lift
            35x12.5LT16's
            super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
              Hey Folks, maye you can shed some light on this subject.

2002 TJ 44,000 miles
              NV3550 Tranny

A couple months, before a Moab trip, the tranny started to make some grinding noises, usually in 4th or 5th, while coasting (clutch in) at about 45-50 MPH. I could take it out of gear and put it in different gears(with the clutch still in) and the noise would still be there. There is no grinding noises while accelerating. But there is a slight noise when I apply a SMALL ammount of pedel.

I changed the Diff's fluid, noise remained. Changed the t-case fluid, noise remained. Changed the Tranny fluid, noise went away.

COOL!!

Fast forward to now and the noise is back, same as before. Tranny fluid has maybe 3-5k ok it, as do all the other fluids.

The Fluid that is in there now is the Penzoil syncromesh stuff. I was thinking about going to the dealer ship and buying their stuff, but wanted to as everyones opinion first.

What do you think?

Thank you
              Chris
              Did you ever figure this problem out?
              It sounds like the problem I'm having. All I can think of is to have the thing rebuilt...

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Rick, FWIW: The "synchros" do not hold the gears in place. That is what the "blocking ring" is for.
                YIKES, I just saw this was from 2004....OK I'll go back to my cave now :-)
                Respectfully,
                LG
                Last edited by Lumpy Grits; 08-10-09, 11:28 AM.
                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Greendominicker View Post
                  Did you ever figure this problem out?
                  It sounds like the problem I'm having. All I can think of is to have the thing rebuilt...

Thanks!
                  Replied to your PM. I never found a problem, I just stopped worrying about it. Good Luck!
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Does it make a slight grinding noise when you're coasting or when you are stopped with the tranny in neutral, but the noise goes away when you step on the clutch? It could be the throw-out bearing on the clutch. I took my Jeep in while it was still under warranty and the service writer told me that it was "normal" for the throw-out bearing to make that noise. Mine has been making that noise for about the last 124,000 miles. I guess I should do something about it soon....
                    Last edited by Russ Chung; 08-15-09, 05:43 AM.
                    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                    KI6MLU

Comment

I have the sound when you were in neutral with the clutch engaged, step on the clutch and it went away, so I live with it
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                      X