Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring and Pinion Install

Getting ready to do my first ring and pinion install into a Dana 44 with an ARB. Since the axle is not in my Jeep yet I have all the time in the world to get it right.

Any tips anyone has would be great.

Thanks,
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Take your time and do it right. If you are tired or hungry, stop and fix the situation! If you don't, you will tend to overlook the details.

If you cannot get the pattern centered both root to land, and the toe to heal, err on the side favoring root to land, otherwise you will end up with a noisy axle.

Don't bother trying to set the pinion depth as most instructions (I have seen) say. (which requires all the special tools, blah blah blah). When you check the pattern, that will tell you which direction you need to go with the pinion. Just check shim requirements as per the stamped code on the pinion nose....there should be a chart in any good shop manual. That will get you pretty close, fine tune it once you check the mesh pattern.

Use only new shims, and be sure to wipe them off each time you add/remove any. Do not use any shims that have gotton any dings, kinks, or any other damage.

When torquing down the pinion nut to check the pattern, use the old nut, and do not use a impact wrench.

Be sure everything is CLEAN!

Grind out your bearing puller to clear the cage completely BEFORE you pull that side bearing to add shims....otherwise you will end up buying a new bearing (omit this tip if you are using one of those fancy bearing pullers designed for the job).

Once it is all set, be sure to lube the pinion seal before you install it.

The first one always seems difficult. As you go along, you will see how everything fits together, how shims affect different clearances,etc. By the time you do your second, things go very quickly and easily. So don't get frustrated if it takes you twice as long as you expect.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
      Take your time and do it right. If you are tired or hungry, stop and fix the situation! If you don't, you will tend to overlook the details.

If you cannot get the pattern centered both root to land, and the toe to heal, err on the side favoring root to land, otherwise you will end up with a noisy axle.

Don't bother trying to set the pinion depth as most instructions (I have seen) say. (which requires all the special tools, blah blah blah). When you check the pattern, that will tell you which direction you need to go with the pinion. Just check shim requirements as per the stamped code on the pinion nose....there should be a chart in any good shop manual. That will get you pretty close, fine tune it once you check the mesh pattern.

Use only new shims, and be sure to wipe them off each time you add/remove any. Do not use any shims that have gotton any dings, kinks, or any other damage.

When torquing down the pinion nut to check the pattern, use the old nut, and do not use a impact wrench.

Be sure everything is CLEAN!

Grind out your bearing puller to clear the cage completely BEFORE you pull that side bearing to add shims....otherwise you will end up buying a new bearing (omit this tip if you are using one of those fancy bearing pullers designed for the job).

Once it is all set, be sure to lube the pinion seal before you install it.

The first one always seems difficult. As you go along, you will see how everything fits together, how shims affect different clearances,etc. By the time you do your second, things go very quickly and easily. So don't get frustrated if it takes you twice as long as you expect.
      Good information,I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Those are some great tips goodtimes, thanks!
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I am going to install 4.10's and ARB's in my AMC 20 and Dana 30.I have most of the tools already so I'm going to buy a few more and do it myself.I bought a factory AMC differential set-up book that shows step-by-step the procedure on E-Bay.I also bought a differential set-up video- http://www.technicalvideos.com/video...erential.phtml made by these people.It shows some great footage and techniques.Good Luck!
          "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

I might just pickup that video myself!
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Moses Ludels "Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual" shows step-by-step axle build up photos also.A great book all around.
              "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Working...
              X