Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running hot / thermostat

well, i have been reading all over the net that the lower temperature thermostats wont change the running temperature of the obd2 jeeps... i dont know why this is all over the net, unless it applies to only tj's?
    anyway, my jeep has been running a little hot lately. at about 220*-225* i would guess. it used to always run at exactly 210*, and recently started running hotter. so in my trouble shooting, and repair... i decided to start cheap, and work my way up.
    i went right to the thermostat.

jeep is sopposed to run the 195* thermostat, which keeps it at about the 210* mark.
    i went and bought the 180* t-stat to reduce the temp a bit, and make it happier in the desert, perhaps.
    the jeep now runs at about 180 in town, and 200 on the freeway. i realize these temperatures are a bit lower than the "preferred" temp chrysler wants to run at, but i'm going to give it a try.
    seems to be running strong, and has no smelly exhaust.
    those of you having some slightly high temperatures on the freeway at speeds may concider this thermostat.
    i'll let you know how it all works out.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

well, i hooked my "auto xray" to the jeep to get some more accurate temperature readings. i like the readings i got!
    • through town = 176*
    • freeway drifing 55 = 185*
    • fwy driving 70+mph = 195*

this will give me nice temperatures on the trail in the hot desert, as well as adequately hot temps on the freeway.
    i think i'm gonna like it
    ERIK

Comment

You also might want to look into a new radiator.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
        You also might want to look into a new radiator.
        why? it is running as it should now.... :confused:
        ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          why? it is running as it should now.... :confused:

Because you dont need it!!!! Come on! Dont ask stupid questions!
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Now all you need is a MAP adjuster and you will actually take advantage of that cooler temp... I would check your O2 sensor signal to make sure it is not running lean. Or, you could pull a couple plugs and check em. The computer is calibrated based on using a 195 deg thermostat, so when you make it run cooler, the fuel map is no longer appropriate for the cooler incoming air. I don't think it is enough of a difference to actually damage the engine due to lean run conditions as some people suggest, but you should be able to make more power with the lower temps. I made a MAP adjuster similar to this one but in a much nicer sealed box, I just need to get my stroker done to test it . The MAP adjuster does basically the same thing that a Jet power chip does, just in a bit more crude way. Many people spend a lot of money on a Jet chip and later find out that the only thing it does is offset the MAP voltage to allow a 180 degree thermostat (that's why Jet says you have to install a 180 deg tstat for the chip to "work").
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Yup, reviving an old thread

I have been thinking of doing the 180* thermostat in my TJ before summer hits to help keep it a little cooler. Driving home during summers up the mountains, the engine does get a bit hot. Nothing serious but I would rather keep the temp down.

Can I go into an autopart store and just ask for 180* thermostat for a TJ?

Thanks
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Bear in mind that a properly set up radiator will run the engine at whatever temp you have the thermostat.

Keep the old thermostat - you'll likely not pass smog with the lower temp
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                  I have been thinking of doing the 180* thermostat in my TJ before summer hits to help keep it a little cooler.
                  I ran a 180 degree thermostat in my '99 for about 6 months. Probably not a good idea. It did lower the normal "around town" temps to about 190, but it won't lower your peak temps. The radiator does that.

I switched back to a 195 last December, I saw an immediate increase of 1mpg. I assume the when the temp dropped down to 180 (happened when wet out or windy) the engine went into closed loop mode and ran richer. Probably not good for emissions either.

Patrick

Comment

The properly setup raditor does not seem to be doing its job when its 110+ (I not only play in the desert but live in it) out driving up steep mountain grades in 4th gear running 4.56s. It could be a bad raditor or water pump but I doubt it.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I also have a problem with engine heat at highway speeds in the summer. My engine temp gets up to 225 or so, melted a Currie MM the first summer. I ended up putting in hood louvers (Grand Prix- early 90s). This dropped my temps to about 210. Frank Daless (anyone heard from him lately?) posted instructions and some underhood temp research on JU.

Comment

I have heard about the hood louvers helping out. On the list of things to do... man that list nevr stops growing.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                          I have heard about the hood louvers helping out. On the list of things to do... man that list nevr stops growing.
                          the "To Do" list always seems to grow much faster than the "Done" list

Comment

Working...
                          X