Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Turbo'd Minivan

Has anyone had experience with a turbo on a Jeep? I'm looking at the kit below for my Jeep and think it would be a good fit. I've got 5.38s in the diffs and a 4.3:1 low range so I don't feel like a supercharger's linear curve would be best for me. I really just want the dang thing to be a bit more fun to drive on the freeway and actually be able to pull a little coming up steep grades. Thoughts? I've pretty much made my mind up on this, but I'd still like some commentary from the experts.

http://bankspower.com/fridaynightnew...re-almost-here
    USMC F&AM

Sounds good to me. Knew a guy who ran an off road shop in Arizona that ran a turbo on his JK for many years. I believe it was a RIPP. He used to be at Off Road Expo every year.
    Rich

Comment

I had some problems with my RIPP on the JK.
      Specifically, that thing got hot. it didn't run hot on the gauge, but the exhaust gas temps were hot enough to melt plug wires, and it even melted the battery box. exhaust manifolds kept cracking, headers ran hotter still even after wrapping them. On hot days in socal the long pull up into big bear would really get it hot.
      it had a good tune and it wasn't running lean, I think the heavy 4 door under load just got hot.
      eventually I blew a head gasket and swapped in a hemi...which is infinitely better. more power, never runs hot.
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
        I had some problems with my RIPP on the JK.
        Specifically, that thing got hot. it didn't run hot on the gauge, but the exhaust gas temps were hot enough to melt plug wires, and it even melted the battery box. exhaust manifolds kept cracking, headers ran hotter still even after wrapping them. On hot days in socal the long pull up into big bear would really get it hot.
        it had a good tune and it wasn't running lean, I think the heavy 4 door under load just got hot.
        eventually I blew a head gasket and swapped in a hemi...which is infinitely better. more power, never runs hot.
        I would like to the Hemi swap but alas that isn't in my budget for some time to be.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
        X