Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP! goes the Detroit...

Had to get on it to clear an intersection. Had the drivetrain lightly loaded, feathered the clutch to full throttle and while still winding out in 1st, BANG. I know they pop occasionally, but this sounded and felt different. Now I'm spooled... I'm becoming somewhat disillusioned with the mighty Dana 44 and legendary strength of the Detroit Locker. I have to agree though, it's strength is a thing of the past. Oh well, Thank God for the guy who gave me the waggy 44 last weekend. I'll just pull the hypoids and reinstall my open carrier with Rubicon 4.10's.
    For now the plan is rebuild the Detroit and put in the waggy 44.
    Anybody know who has the best deal on Detroit replacement parts?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Did you open up the Detroit yet? I haven't rebuilt one, but I think Butch was telling me you could buy belleville springs that work from McMasterCarr for a lot less. But if the side gears are broken, they are pricy.

Comment

Well... a side gear barfed the little cogs that follow up the disconnecting cones. The actual locking cogs are fine. But a little failure analysis shows that the ring gear lost a tooth. Seems to me the gearset has had more lives than Shirley Maclaine and has suffered some abuse in one or more of them. The pattern was dead center. Looks like it was just my time with the short straw. I figure the tooth let go and the pinion gear slamming into the next tooth gave enough shock load to strip these poor little cogs to shreds.
      I paid $50 for the Detroit and $50 for the gears. As long as a new side gear is less than $600 I'm still good
      -sons of thunder

Comment

A little misnomer, What I called the side gear is referred to as the clutch assembly. DTS in El Cajon carries the whole clutch assembly which includes both sides and a new spider/clutch unit for a little over $130. I gutted the waggy open carrier to get back on the road, so the Detroit goes in front when I get it back together.

I need some opinions here. I just bought new tires, 285/75-16. I'd like to keep them so I'll be staying with 16" wheels. Also, the info I find says the 1985 Wagoneer minimum wheel was 16".

My Scout rear bolt pattern is 5x5 1/2 and the waggy is 6 x 5 1/2. I'm leaning toward keeping with the old-school look of 5 x 5 1/2. Is there any reason to go 6 x 1/2 in back - other than effort? The work is not an issue, I have time and equipment to do the conversion. The real question comes down to preference. So, what would you run if you had the choice?

Also, the front rotor shields have broken welds. I can weld them back on or just pull them and run with the discs exposed. I have had past experiences where gravel got in there during a water crossing and chewed on things a bit, so I'm inclined to pull them off. Again, what would you do? Thanks.
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
        X