Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mounts

I came back from Holcomb this weekend with a noise. Turns out my motor mounts have sagged and my fans tagging the shroud on hard acceleration.
    Ive heard some horror stories about TJ mounts and was looking at the

Brown Dog
    http://browndogindustries.com/CU2883...ts-Rubber.aspx
    and the
    MORE
    http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Je...r_YJ_TJ_XJ.htm

Im edging towards the brown dog mount in rubber not urethane. Any opinions?

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

I have the brown dogs. They have never given me any problems. I have the poly and have no complaints. Rubber should be fine. The design captures the mounting bolt infinitely better than OEM. Stand up outfit IMHO.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

I have never seen TJ motor mounts go bad.
      Every time the fan hit the shroud that I have seen it's because the tranny skid pan pushed up the rear mount and the front of that long straight 6 tilts down causing the fan to hit the bottom of the shroud
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
        Every time the fan hit the shroud that I have seen it's because the tranny skid pan pushed up the rear mount and the front of that long straight 6 tilts down causing the fan to hit the bottom of the shroud
        I should have thought of that. I have the Nth Degree skid plate. It may have tilted the front down some and now after 20k miles it's hitting while torqued. I haven't been happy with the tranny mount they use and any ideas I come up with involve a body lift. The research I've done, didn't show anyone who came up with a better idea. When I inspected my engine mounts they didn't look sagged.
        I'm going to fix both ends now. I just need to come up with a fairly low rubber mount for the tranny. Nth degree used two small rubber pucks on out riggers supporting both sides. Thats been the hold up on modding that part, I cant find a mount that's not huge.

Scott
        We have Cookies!

Comment

I guess we can say glad it wasn't the pinion?:dunno:
          Check out .

Comment

You got that right.
            Once it got bad enough the sound changed and made it easier to locate.
            I still pulled the cover and checked.

Scott
            We have Cookies!

Comment

Rock Hard makes a good one. I copied theirs and have never looked back. And they make a 1" and 2' lift if you want to do a belly up
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
                I should have thought of that. I have the Nth Degree skid plate. It may have tilted the front down some and now after 20k miles it's hitting while torqued. I haven't been happy with the tranny mount they use and any ideas I come up with involve a body lift. The research I've done, didn't show anyone who came up with a better idea. When I inspected my engine mounts they didn't look sagged.
                I'm going to fix both ends now. I just need to come up with a fairly low rubber mount for the tranny. Nth degree used two small rubber pucks on out riggers supporting both sides. Thats been the hold up on modding that part, I cant find a mount that's not huge.

Scott
                I've seen you drive... Nuff said
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                  2' lift
                  :tongue:
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                  www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Give Ironman Andy a look over if you haven't decided yet. I will be running his 5.2 mounts in my zj, I just need to install them.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/MM.html
                    [ ]llllll[ ] Mine 93 Zj
                    -OllllllllO- Dad's 98 Tj

Comment

you COULD just cut the bottom 1/3 of the shroud out where the fan hits it.

Comment

been happy with my rubber brown dogs
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Seem's the first thing I need to do is build a better trans mount then reevaluate the motor mount situation. With the flat skid my trans mount is about an inch thick and 1.5 round. I don't like the way Nth Degree designed them. It look's like my trans is lifted slightly. I never paid attention to the fan to see if it was centered in the shroud. If I have to I will remount the radiator or shroud when I'm done to center them.
                          We have Cookies!

Comment

I think I remember drilling holes in the plastic shroud and dropping it in a TJ I had once.

Comment

Working...
                            X