Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 YJ automatic transmission problems

Hi,

I have a friend with a 91 YJ with a TF999 trans (I think). He took it to a shop for a freeze plug change and when he got it back it wouldn't start (no click). The shop had pulled the transmission to get to the freeze plug and for some reason they had pulled the pan and said the trans was bad. He pulled the pan and found this:

Looks pretty bad to me. I figure the starting issue is just the neutral safety being out of adjustment. As for the trans, he wants to clean it up, tighten the bands and run it. I know nothing of automatics, any advice? Or someone with an extra trans?

Thanks!

If his interested in having a shop do the work these guys are pretty fair and good with transmissions. They also work on a lot of Jeeps. I'm dropping mine off to them Friday(I hope).
    Orange County Transmission
    Check out .

Comment

Thanks for the tip. What is going on with yours? I almost have OPY back on the road, hope to get out soon!

Comment

Jonah,
        He shit the planetary gears. Thats where all the metal came from. Not hard to fix but definitely not for the timid. Adjusting the bands isn't gonna do anything. If he drives it it will destroy the rest of the tranny. It needs some love. I've replaced the planetaries twice; the second time I did a racing upgrade. Much better now. BTW, the ball is a detent ball. Probably from the shift lever. If it's from the valve body, it might be time for a new tranny. The cable with the slack in it is the kick down cable. Connected to the throttle. For when you stomp the skinny pedal to down shift. Way out of adjustment there.
        Last edited by RAT; 09-24-13, 02:24 PM.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks, I will let him know. I was wondering about that ball, It looked a bit large for a valve body check ball but like I said I don't know a thing about automatics.

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
            Thanks, I will let him know. I was wondering about that ball, It looked a bit large for a valve body check ball but like I said I don't know a thing about automatics.
            I may be willing to rebuild it for him. Time will be the deciding factor.

Comment

I will see what he wants to do. Looks like you have your hands full with those 60s, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
                Thanks for the tip. What is going on with yours? I almost have OPY back on the road, hope to get out soon!
                It's been running hot and slips in 2nd when it's hot. Getting build with all beef parts.
                Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                  I may be willing to rebuild it for him. Time will be the deciding factor.
                  If your going to be rebuilding an automatic, let me know. I'd would love to learn from the Master, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                    If your going to be rebuilding an automatic, let me know. I'd would love to learn from the Master, Kevin.
                    Hahaaa. I just saw this post. You crack me up Kevin. But if you're serious I'll let you know when I have another transmission job.

Comment

Working...
                    X