Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: front ds

guys, what's a good rule on ds spline extension at ride height? I went to get my shaft shortened due to a hp front end install. I measured yoke mating surface to surface at 40". It's a tom woods shaft with that super stiff boot on it. Well the shop pulled and collapsed the shaft to get an idea but the boot restricted their hand strength and they ended up putting it at 40" at near collapse. only had like 1" of collapseable travel left. I couldnt even get the shaft on the jeep. I took it back, cut off the boot and said to put it at about 40 % collapsed( about 3.5 inches of spline showing) length and 60% spline( about 4.5 inches) left for travel. It has ALOT of spline. Did I screw up?
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

A smarter person then I will probably give you a better answer. But, remove the shocks, and flex it out in your driveway, then measure. See what you have.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

When I had my rear shaft shortened, the shop owner told me the standard is to fully compress it and then extend 1" for ride height. It shouldn't impact at full upward travel there. If it pulls out of the splines at full droop, congratulations! You can get extended splines for that.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Tom Woods DS recomends 2 1/2" of spline showing.

Comment

A TJ front end moves Back during droop. So if he allowed 1" at ride height then it would kill the TC during large rolling whoops, and never be able to get it out if jacked up and allowed to droop. Most short arm TJ's, I would estimate, cycle back about 2-3" with a typ 4" lift and 5" of droop, from ride height. and only extend maybe 1-1.5 under full bump, from ride height.

I would say...

Jack it up, support it from the frame and with the front end shocks and limit straps (if equip) etc in place. Let it fully droop as far as it can.

Then measure at that point and deduct 1" from that. That should be your collapsed length.
          *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

You should always send your DS back to Tom Woods. Nobody does it cheaper and they make sure it is perfect before sending it back.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
            X