Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if I should pretty it up?

I finally decided to get to the broken exhaust manifold bolt. Of course it has to be the one by the firewall and it is completely sheared off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130825_123700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	359194

So now that the engine bay looks like this

Name:	20130825_132549.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	359195

Maybe I should put in a chrome exhaust manifold in. :hide:

Anyone know what are bolt sizes for the manifold? I will pull the front on and replace them with grade 8's while I'm in there. The ones on each end are studs.

I would say clean the engine first but I think it's holding the oil in.
    Check out .

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]I actually think your engine may be dirtier than mine....and that's really saying something. Get with Tom, he'll have some good pointers for ya.

As far as a chrome exhaust manifold...you were kidding right? I mean you gotta get the chrome diff covers first of course.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

It's one of those it's not broke but while I have it all apart, why not upgrade. If that is possible on the 4 banger.

Comment

3/8-16. It's one of the rare hold-outs of SAE on the YJ. My take on engine cleanliness is that if the smog guy sees an even layer of dried junk, he's less likely to try to ding you on a visual. Slap it together and run through some puddles to even it out.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

3/8-16 on the block side and 3/8-24 on the manifold side. While I was in there I noticed that the rubber on the driver's side motor mount is shot. Might explain some of the noises I been trying to locate. Insert Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" 'cuz I feel I'm slowly rebuilding this thing one piece at time.
            Last edited by Jason; 09-04-13, 10:08 AM. Reason: Cash not Carson! Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              Insert Johnny Carson's "One Piece at a Time" 'cuz I feel I'm slowly rebuilding this thing one piece at time.

it will never end, until its over
              You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Jonny Carson? Or Jonny Cash?[/COLOR]

Comment

Wow! Cash. What was I thinking???

Anyhoo,
                  This

Name:	20130829_200433.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	358304

Now looks like this

Might just explain the strange noises I've been trying to find.

I also got the broken manifold stud out. I should be all back ready to go this weekend.

Comment

Time to talk to browndog. Great motor mounts from them.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

I'll have a look. NAPA was the only place I could find just a stock replacement. The stealership told me that they were discontinued.
                      All the fancy ones the cool kids run lift the motor and I already did that years ago.

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]That's kinda how my old YJ mounts looked. It kept allowing the engine to move around and it would open the flange on the exhaust at the manifold. Check around there for a leak. Will keep the engine bay cooler too. [/COLOR]

Comment

www.browndogoffroad.com has lift mounts available, but also stock height. He also has poly and rubber bushings.
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

why not pull it out and put it a 4.7L stroker??

Borla stainless header with lifetime warranty all the way. Mine cracked after 10 years.. they sent me another one for free. Thank you Borla!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                              why not pull it out and put it a 4.7L stroker??

Borla stainless header with lifetime warranty all the way. Mine cracked after 10 years.. they sent me another one for free. Thank you Borla!
                              Don't mess with me like that!
                              Do you know how bad I want to add mo power to the YJ?

Comment

Working...
                              X