Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Fluid leak?

My Transmission Fluid is transferring into my transfer case, What causes this? And what has to be done to correct this problem.

98 TJ
    6cyl
    Automatic
    NP 231j W/Teralow Kit

How long has your teralo been in there?

Comment

I have no idea, It was in there when I got the vehicle and I have had it almost a year now.

Comment

Don't see how this could happen. You have a seal on the rear of the trans that keeps oil from leaking out. You have a seal on the from of the transfer case to keep oil from leaking out or in. You have a vent on top of the transfer with a hose that runs above the engine. If the hose came loose the transfer will leak oil like it is over flowing.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Today was the second time I had to pull the fill plug on the transfer case because it was over filled. My son drove it last week and said the trans was slipping so we checked it and it was very low. I have no puddles of trans fluid in the drive way and its not blowing all over the the underside of the jeep as I drive it. I know of this happening on heavy equipment but never thought of it happening on my jeep any one else here had this happen.

Comment

Well it isn't all that hard to pull the transfercase and that will reveal what's going on

Comment

All have to pull her out and get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your replies all let you know how it goes.

Comment

Teralo behind a 3 speed auto trans is supposed to have a sleeve in between the 2 that seals both units check that one for a groove cut by one of the seals

Comment

I wonder if whomever put the teralow in left the seals out and sealed up the weep hole on the adapter housing. I could swear I saw that on Pirate. Sounds crazy but with all the failures on Teralows there have been some weird fixes to get more oil to them bearings.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks guys, I got the Transfer case out and hauled it down to Brothers to have them go through it .The seal is there but not sure about the seal extension . The new seal and extension will be here some time Thursday all take the old one out then and see what the deal is.

thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                    X