Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new rear axle!

I seem to have bent my Dana 44 rear axle housing at some point. So I am looking for a new rear axle. I would like to upgrade to a dana 60 or maybe a ford 9". I want to run 37's at some point. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!
    That's a BIG rock!

For now you can straighten the axle tube, then truss the axle and call it good for the time being.
    You go 37's start thinking JK D44 's or go big and be done with it.14 bolt or Sterling axle for the rear or a D60 that will fit 35 spline axle shafts, preferably full floater and something in a D60 flavor for the front and you can happily run 37's and beyond for a long time to come.
    It's cheaper to do it once and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      For now you can straighten the axle tube, then truss the axle and call it good for the time being.
      You go 37's start thinking JK D44 's or go big and be done with it.14 bolt or Sterling axle for the rear or a D60 that will fit 35 spline axle shafts, preferably full floater and something in a D60 flavor for the front and you can happily run 37's and beyond for a long time to come.
      It's cheaper to do it once and be done with it
      Hey Art...quick ? ...why Jk 44s?
      Is it because the rear axle come in the 33 spline flavor?
      Is there any other advantage to the Jk axles...I had heard the front was basically a d30 with a 44 diff...?
      Aren't the Jk 44s 65" wide....? Tj 44s are 60" right...
      Just wondering what the differences between the two axles were...that would make you suggest them over other D44s
      Thanx
      WOKNROX!
      Let's go wheelin!

Comment

HP axles, bigger ring and pinion. The tubes can be sleeved. Is easier to find than D60's. Bit wider isn't necessarily a bad thing.
        It's a stop gap/ step up of the stock TJ axles. Ya wanna go nuts, just go big or go home
        It depends on how bad you want to abuse your Jeep, what deal you come across and what not. There are more than a few variables.
        All I can say is that I am very happy with my put put Jeep, poor thing has been beaten like a stepchild, driven like it's stolen and happily asks for more.

Comment

Where can you get the axle straightened out?
          That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Look for axle places or use a chain, porta power, a bit of welding and some ingenuity. Then truss the thing to keep it from bending and be done with it.
            This is kinda the idea

If it's just the axle tube you could also replace part of it, sleeve it and call it good

Comment

Well just as an option. Curries new Rockjock D44 low pinion rear with 3"x.375" tubes and all HD brackets setup to take the JK rear gear set (Much stronger then typical lpD44 stuff), with gears and you can reuse any locker you have now and even your shafts if you like (just has to be built with the mopar ends and not the larger torino ends), would be about 2K.

But for 2K you can get a 14B and shave it, gear it and lock with with a disc brake kit. Only issue is now your at a 8lug unless you spend another 1000$. so the rims will be two diff patterns till you up the front to match in some form.
              *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Here is one option:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....7#.Ub-ZpvmW-So
                Rich

Comment

That's a good price, you just have to add a front axle or adapters to get the same bolt pattern front and rear

Comment

Hey...right on..
                    I was just wondering what is was you liked about them....and your right... a little extra width can help from time to time...
                    And not knowing the OP...I guess any other axles will require some Fab skills... he may or may not have...
                    WOKNROX!
                    Let's go wheelin!

Comment

Fab skills... I have a buddy who has fab skills... lol!
                      I like the idea of replacing the tube, maybe with a thicker tube. I just have to find a shop in Vegas that does that stuff. Its too hot to work on my own junk this time of year!
                      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bachman;225060 Its too hot to work on my own junk this time of year![/QUOTE]

Just cut the tubes off, get some brazing rod, set the whole mess on yer front drive in the midday Sun, lay the rod on the new tube joints and when you get home from work it will be all welded up for ya!
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I have a Dynatrac Dana 60 in the back of my JK...I really appreciate the peace of mind...probably bullet proof with 37s...

Comment

Junk yard ford 9 inch, put 35 spline shafts in it from dutchman shafts, and upgrade the third member when you have the $$

virtually unlimited ring and pinion ratios compared to other axles, easy to set up the gears and a lot of aftermarket support because everyone uses them.

or a shaved 14 bolt. my 14 bolt has 1/2 inch better clearance from the center of the axle tube to the bottom of the diff compared to a stock ford 9 inch, could have it narrowed and is a full float axle and you could romp on it with stock parts and 44 inch tires and still drive home. Its just really heavy
                            LED light bars, misc jeep accesoies, custom suspension components
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]Whites4wd.co[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X